when to stop taking folic acid?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Positive2012 Posts: 481
I was taking folic acid since before the pregnancy and the last 13 wks. I finished the clonfolic and started taking pregncare last wk as i had some leftover. I am feeling much worse since and i think its too heavy on my stomach. Do ye think its safe at 14 wks to stop taking folic acid!.
mamajen Posts: 2263
I'm not sure if/when you should stop. I've been taking pregnacare from the start of my pregnancy to date
Bigsurprise Posts: 961
I took it up to 13 weeks - it was the end of the box & didn't get anymore. Think it said on the box to take up to 12 weeks.
Delphinium Posts: 3027
Folia acid is generally recommended up to 12 to 14 weeks. My doctor advised me there was no need to take vitamin supplements like Pregnacare but I was told to go on Galfer FA iron every second day (to avoid constipation) from around 16 weeks and every day in 3rd trimester. The one in the yellow box includes folic acid so I was actually keeping that topped up throughout.
MrsMtoB Posts: 1212
I stopped taking it at 12 wks. Agree with other poster there that ya really don't need to take supplements unless your diet is extremely poor. You'll get your nutrients from food. Spatone is good for iron too and won't make you constipated, but it really only keeps your iron level stable, so if your iron is low start on galfer fa a few times a week.