When to take maternity

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

redroses Posts: 714
Ladies im just wondering if you have all thought/decided when you are going to take maternity? In my job i am constantly on my feet walking for the full 8 hour shift,it is tough going at the best of times.We work right through christmas, no holidays are taken after the 12th of dec. I want/think i want to take leave a couple weeks early as i really cant see myself being comfortable up to 8 months plus. I am due on the 12th/14th of feb, do you think it will be too early to take maternity before chrsitmas, say around the 12th or 19th of dec.
Milly83 Posts: 3620
Personally, I found it better to work as close to my due date as possible. I had to leave work earlier on DS (At around 33 weeks) because I suffered with SPD. The time at home was awful, boring and I was driving myself crazy thinking that I had stuff to do when I really didn't. I worked closer to my due date on DD and it was much better. I had less time at home thinking about what was about to happen and it made those last few weeks fly by compared to DS. If you are uncomfortable in any way, do what's best for you. You will know better closer to the time but I would prefer to use the maternity leave to be with baby as long as possible rather than using it before he/she arrives.
Perci Posts: 3847
I think it depends on whether you're planning to take unpaid leave after your maternity leave etc. On DS1 I finished at 37 weeks, he arrived a few days later and I went back to work when he was 7mths. On DS2 I went into premature labour at 33 wks so obviously was off from then and went back to work when he was 8 months. This time I'm finishing at 29 weeks but I'm going to take over a year off with unpaid leave and parental leave so I'll be going back to work when baby is nearly a year old. If you're only taking the 6 months maternity leave and finish in December your baby will only be 4 months old when you return to work. Can you talk to your employers about all the walking that's required?
tilsun Posts: 4506
I voted 38 weeks before properly reading your post :duh: In your case I would go earlier than the 38 weeks unless they can give you alternative work where you would be off your feet for part of the day
pag Posts: 633
I always think if you are on your feet at work that you need to give yourself extra time to rest. I know several people who finished up in work as early as this to give themselves time and because they wouldn't physically have been able to continue working. If you need the time go for it. The only thing I'd be afraid of is if you don't have the option to take unpaid leave, you could leave yourself with very little time after baby is born. If you are taking extra time then I wouldn't see a problem. However, if you don't' have this option I would finish up after Christmas and give yourself time then.
[quote="Perci":3ti13vhc] Can you talk to your employers about all the walking that's required?[/quote:3ti13vhc] There are no other duties without the walking that i can do, every single person that works there except management is on their feet as its a care setting. I love my job and never found it really tough going but the last month has been awful, ive come home every day bent over with pain in my legs, hips and down there :-8 . So sore.
ciaraella Posts: 5323
I'm finishing at 38 weeks but i work sitting at a desk, if i had to stand all day i'd probably be on leave already! One thing the midwives at my ante natal class hammered home was the need to take it easy in the last few weeks so if you're wrecked and in pain i'd take it earlier rather than later.
pag Posts: 633
[quote="redroses":e5h2i77i][quote="Perci":e5h2i77i] Can you talk to your employers about all the walking that's required?[/quote:e5h2i77i] There are no other duties without the walking that i can do, every single person that works there except management is on their feet as its a care setting. I love my job and never found it really tough going but the last month has been awful, ive come home every day bent over with pain in my legs, hips and down there :-8 . So sore.[/quote:e5h2i77i] You possibly should speak to someone in occupational health (if there is someone) or alternatively to your GP. You might have to go off sick if it's causing that much pain especially at this stage. Are there any duties that cause particular pain or problems - maybe you should be put on restricted duties?
Delphinium Posts: 3027
I would say don't start too early as you are doing yourself out of time afterwards. You have to finish two weeks before the week in which your due date falls to qualify for maternity benefit. It sounds to me as if given the demands of your job, your doctor or consultant should be putting you on sick leave for health and safety reasons. You could go out at, say, around 32 weeks on sick certs if your doctor is in agreement with you. I don't see there being a problem if you are already suffering at this stage. This would have the advantage of you not using up too much of your statutory maternity leave before baby's arrival. Perhaps discuss it with your doctor before you make a decision on your mat leave.
[quote="Delphinium":lncgmqvi]I would say don't start too early as you are doing yourself out of time afterwards. You have to finish two weeks before the week in which your due date falls to qualify for maternity benefit. It sounds to me as if given the demands of your job, your doctor or consultant should be putting you on sick leave for health and safety reasons. You could go out at, say, around 32 weeks on sick certs if your doctor is in agreement with you. I don't see there being a problem if you are already suffering at this stage. This would have the advantage of you not using up too much of your statutory maternity leave before baby's arrival. Perhaps discuss it with your doctor before you make a decision on your mat leave.[/quote:lncgmqvi] Thanks for the replies, its mainly all the walking that cuases me pain, it eases up when if i have a couple days off together but when im back at work within an hour or two its back and v painful again. I dont know about going off sick, i dont think i could afford to, ive been saving up and by nov il be on target and can relax then.