When to tell your Job

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MrsMcC2013 Posts: 358
I'm not pregnant...yet, hoping to be soon (fingers crossed) Just a quick question, when do you tell your job you're pregnant? Do you tell them as soon as you know or do you wait till the normal 12 weeks gone time.
Plus1makes4 Posts: 721
Hi MrsMcC, I told my job last time as soon as I found out coz I was working in an enviroment with harmful chemicals. This time around Im basd in an office so will wait the 12 weeks. I know companies have different policies on notice though. I think my place requires you tell employer 4 months before you are due to go on maternity leave (I think I cant find it in hand book though!) So long as you are giving adequate notice for maternity I think you can tell when you like. :babydust: :babydust: :babydust: :babydust: :babydust:
Thanks so much Plus1makes4. Whenever it happens, i might tell them at 6 weeks. Small company and they'd need to know well in advance, plus health & safety procedures to address as well (work in sheet lead manufacturing accounts office) Just fingers crossed!!
babydust2012 Posts: 4736
:babydust: :babydust: :babydust: I didn't tell work till I was 16 weeks last time but this time told them at 9w5d because I had some bleeding so needed the time to go to the hospital. Good luck :babydust: :babydust: :babydust:
ructions Posts: 2689
z
Actually come to thing of it ructions, I might just tell the managing director. He is very good at keeping things confidential. People I work with are like News of the World and the news spreads like wild fire then. Plus I'd just be hassled big time by the woman I work. She is relentless (I've actually nicknamed her that) I'd have to tell the managing director solely if I needed to leave or something.
Miss Happiness Posts: 85
I had to tell my work place as soon as I found out. I deal with a lot of samples and wasn't willing to take risk of lifting them. Also I do a lot of tasting and as I can no longer eat soft cheese or shell fish really wasn't left with a choice. It was just as well as I've been signed out of work for over 4 weeks at this stage
Doozer28 Posts: 881
It all depends on where you work really, if it could affect your baby you'd tell straight away, or if you're unwell, it can help if they know also. I'm 16wks tomorrow & still haven't told my boss, trying to pluck up the courage to do it today!
Thanks Doozer28 I got BFP this morning. I had to tell H & S girl as we have this whole procedure in place that we need to maintain to keep our standard. I also use to have to go over to the works to talk to the lads (where they melt down and refine scrap lead) so now I'm not allowed and she has to go through something else but she said she can do that next week.
RainbowNinja Posts: 4437
I told my boss at 10 weeks as someone in the office had shingles. Told everyone else after the scan at 13 weeks