Where and when to start shopping?!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

beller Posts: 22
My lord I've no idea where to start! Went shopping with husband today with the intention of buying some baby stuff but where so overwhelmed we ended up just buying housy stuff instead! How do you know where to start? There is so much friggin stuff to get! Also when did you start buying things and decorating baby room? Im 18 weeks.
beller Posts: 22
Well we're getting a good bit of stuff from my sister and sister in law, mainly the big things like the cot/bed, moses basket, bouncer, walker, stair gates and some other stuff. I think what I need to do first is make a list of everything we need and get the ball rolling by buying one thing and then just keep going! Oh god we'll have no money to feed the poor child once we've finished!
Giant Underpants Posts: 953
Im 24 weeks and all we have bought is a cot and a pushchair. Got them in the sale today because they were cheap. Going to get a new carpet for the study/nursery closer to the time and paint it even closer again - like right before the birth (Ill get hubs to do it, it will only take a day) Everything else Im waiting to buy/hoping to get as a gift/will buy second hand off gumtree/magic mum. Ill get some at the end of this month, next month and month after to spread out the cost. I made up a list from this sticky viewtopic.php?f=19&t=72672&start=45: Id imagine you dont need to buy all of it new, so I have been speaking to two of my friends who have babies to see whats the bare minimum. I suppose we wont know what we really need until the baby gets here, so Id buy only the bare bones to start off with. I thought this post from the sticky was pretty much everything. Labour Bag: (make sure it’s not too big) 1. Hospital file and notes 2. Birth plan if you have one 3. 2 Loose Nightdress 4. Socks Dressing Gown 5. Slippers 6. For baby: vest, babygro, nappy, hat, cardigan Comforts 7. Camera 8. Tens Machine 9. Hair bobbins 10. Brush Toothpaste & Toothbrush 11. Deodorant Evian Face Spray 12. Face wipes 13. Moisturiser 14. Tissues Lip Balm 15. Magazines & Music. 16. Notebook & Pen Food 1. Water 2. Fruit 3. Energy bars For your Partner: Change of top & deodorant Change for parking meter & vending machine For Hospital Stay: For you: 1. 4 light front opening nightie or PJs (opinions differ (nighties more comfy if having a Caesarean) 2. Slippers 3. Dressing gown 4. Disposable pants 5. Big knickers 6. 2 packets of maternity sanitary pads (Bastos Vieges seem the most recommended) 7. Nursing bras 8. Breast pads Bath/ Toiletries 1. 2 Bath towels 2. 2 hand towels 3. Flip flops 4. Body wash 5. Shampoo/ Conditioner 6. Toothbrush/ Toothpaste 7. Cleanser/ Toner 8. Moisturiser 9. Cotton wool 10. Deodorant 11. Lip balm 12. Tissues 13. Make-up 14. Hair bobbin 15. Hairbrush Hairdryer (good for drying stitches too) 16. Lansinoh cream 17. Arnica (homeopathic healing super for stitches/piles/internal healing) 18. Tea tree oil 19. Witch hazel (great to use on sanitary towels for soothing stitches) 20. Ear plugs 21. Bran/ fruit/ linseeds etc. to minimise constipation Accessories 1. Money for phone card, newspaper etc…. Magazine/ Book 2. Mobile phone and charger 3. Note book and pen Baby Bag: Clothes 1. Babygros/Sleepsuits (9-12) 2. Vests (9-12) 3. 1 Cardigan 4. Scratch mitts & Socks & Hat 5. Cellular blanket Toiletries 1. Nappies (a pack of 28 – plenty but have a spare pack at home!) Nappy bags 2. Cotton Wool packs (not hosp rolls) 3. Barrier cream (Silcock’s base) 4. 2 soft towels for bathing 5. Baby sponge 6. Baby wash 7. Blanket & Muslin squares Soothers Going Home: For you 1. Loose Jeans/Trousers (unfortunately Maternity) 2. Top 3. Shoes & Socks For baby 1. Cellular blanket 2. Car seat 3. Going home outfit 4. Snow suit (If its cold) When you are home Sleeping: 1. Cot – can be used from birth 2. Cot Mattress 3. Crib/ Moses Basket 4. Crib/ Moses Basket Mattress 5. Travel Cot - for during the day and visiting people. Have not got this yet as he uses the carrycot all the time but he will be soon grown out of it so will have to get it. My friend used a travel cot for all his day sleeps instead of carrycot from birth. 6. Monitor - I use one that has the portable parent side, so when baby is having a sleep I can move around the house and have the unit clipped onto me 7. Grobags - can use from 7lb 8. Safababy Sleeper 9. Thermometre (Gro Egg) Blankets/Sheets: For moses basket: 2 fitted sheets For pram: 2 fitted sheets (turned out they were the same size as the moses basket ones). Some people use pillow cases. For cot : 2 or 3 fitted sheets. For travel cot: 2 normal sheets - sheets are actually far too big for it! 1-2 cellular blankets Fleece blankets are great for the pram and the car seat. Cot sheets are also useful to put under baby's head in moses basket/cot/pram Feeding: 1. Muslin Cloths 2. Steriliser 3. Powder Formula 4. Bottles. We have 6 of the 4 oz and 6 of the 9oz bottles 5. Bottle Brush 6. Teat brush 7. Electric Bottle warmer/Bottle insulator 8. Breast Pads – whether you BF or not you need these 9. Breast Pump – if you breastfeed (BF) 10. Bags for freezing milk if you express 11. Nursing Bras (get measured at 38 weeks) 12. Nursing Pillow - handy 13. Feeding Chair – essential if you breast feed 14. High chair for when they are a little older Changing: 1. Changing Unit –one that has a bath and lots of storage is handy 2. Changing mat 3. cot top changer for upstairs on top of you chest of drawers for night-time if you don’t have a changing unit. 4. Nappies 5. Nappy changing cream – they all recommend Vaseline and that you shouldn’t use it much - only about once per day 6. Cotton Wool – best way to keep from getting nappy rash is simply use cotton wool and water for changing – wipes are drying, but handy if you are out and about 7. Bowl for water 8. Changing Bag with changing mat inside – most of them have this 9. Talcum Powder alternative – I use a cornflower based one which has no talc as talc is not recommended for babies 10. Nappy Bags – handy when away from home for disposal of the bad ones in particular 11. Towel for under baby on changing unit Changing bag to include: Nappies Cotton Wool Nappy Sacs Wipes Talc/ Oil Sudo-Cream Changing mat Bathtime: 1. Baby Bath 2. Top and Tail Bowl 3. Baby Body Wash – public health nurse recommended Silcock’s Base for washing baby after a month or two, but to just use plain water for first while 4. Baby Shampoo – not essential 5. Face sponge – not used on bottom 6. Baby soft-bristled hair brush 7. Towels – one for him/her to lie on while you dry them and one to dry them with 8. Face Cloths - for putting on baby’s chest in bath – makes them feel warmer and calm 9. Bath thermometer Play: - nothing essential here but chair and floor gym are handy 1. Floor gym 2. Mobiles 3. Rattlers and other baby toys 4. Baby chair - this is mine and it's great: 5. Teddy 6. Playmat 7. Bouncer Getting Around: 1. Travel system/Buggy 2. Car Seat 3. Sun shade for car window 4. sling or baby carrier Baby Kit: 1. Thermometer 2. Bulb syringe for suctioning mucous 3. Eye Dropper/Medicine Spoon 4. Gripe Water/Infacol - apparently GW is no longer available in ROI. Get in UK/NI. 5. Dummy 6. Calpol – from 2 months 7. Bonjella 8. Saline Nose Drops 9. Baby Vaporub / Karvol (both only suitable after 3 months) 10. Nail Scissors Clothes: 1. Baby Gros/Sleepsuits, 0-3 months and newbirn. 8-10 of these. Newborn ones are best in the early days unless baby is big. The sizes of them vary hugely from shop to shop. During the day my boy wears a short sleeve vest with babygro and also at night in the early days. Now he wears just a long sleeve vest under his grobag at night. 2. Scratch mittens – 1/2. If baby will tolerate them. 3. Vests – 6/8. H&M do wraparound vests which are much handier than the ones that go on over the head 4. Bibs – Cotton backed ones for small babies – M&S ones are nice, Dunnes ones go baubled after one wash. You won’t need these for maybe 2/3 months if you use muslins for feeding. Plastic-backed ones are better when weaning. 5. Snow Suit – 1 6. Cardigans/Jackets – 1/2. I hardly ever used these and never used a cardi as house is warm. Mainly used snowsuit for outdoors, though jacket is handier if weather is not too cold. 7. Socks – you won’t need socks if baby is wearing babygro. Only needed for when baby wears outfits 8. Hat –1/2 - most jackets/snowsuits have hoods anyway. 9. Blankets – cellular. It is nice to swaddle baby in the first few weeks as they can get frightened by their arms flailing around - they don’t recognize them as their own arms! After that we used the Grobags (baby sleeping bags) cos they are so safe – no danger of wriggling under blankets. 10. Don’t bother buying (m)any outfits as you will get loads – dungarees are way better than trousers/jeans for babies as they have no waistband to dig in to their tummies Things you will need for yourself: 1. Arnica tablets - start taking during labour or after birth depending on your midwife – helps with the internal healing 2. Tea tree oil. If you have stitches &/piles after labour, the best thing you can do for yourself is have a bath with tea tree oil twice a day. It is so cleansing and soothing even if you have no stitches/piles. 3. Lavender oil for bath. Nice combined with tea tree. 4. Special cushion to sit on if you have stitches, like a rubber inflatable ring or your feeding cushion. 5. Heavy duty sanitary pads – you will need lots of these but don’t stock up in advance until you see if you have stitches because if you do, please get the cotton Dr. Whites, as the plastic ones like Always irritate them. 6. Breast pads – whether or not you BF you will need these 7. Lansinoh cream – for cracked nipples if you BF 8. You will sweat buckets after giving birth so bring a good deodorant! 9. Big bottle of witch hazel. Lash it on the pads every time you change one. Before you go into hospital: 1. Know how to use your car seat & pram/buggy properly. 2. Have some non-maternity loose/comfy clothes ready for when you get home. 3. Cot/crib made up. 4. Make a few curries, lasagnas, and freeze. You would want to be ultra-organised to have this done in advance… 5. Have a coming home bag packed for partner to bring in with an outfit for you and baby. 6. You might find your feet swell up after you give birth even if you had no swelling in pregnancy, so bring loose fitting slippers and shoes for going home.
overthemoon99 Posts: 527
OMG what a list..... its great but to have it all like that, thank you.