Where do I start?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

broodynewlywed Posts: 164
Me and hubby are married 8 months now and both have gotten very, very broody. The problems are these: 1. I'm so busy at work and if I fell pregnant now - I'd be missing during the busiest time. 2. We have llittle or no savings so are totally not prepared. Despite these things we are DYING for a baby. We've discussed waiting until Dec/Jan, so it doesn't conflict with work too much, which leads me to my next question! 3. I've been on the pill solidly for about 9 years. When should I come off it so that we can try (with success we hope!) in Dec/Jan? Sorry for bombarding you with all these questions, but you all know your stuff!
wasy Posts: 453
I was on the pill for 8/9 years with no break and got pregnant within 2 months of coming off it, I thought it would take a while, but I guess everyone is different although there seems to be a lot of gilrs on here similar to me. As to work its never going to relly be a good time just decide when you are ready and go for it. We have no real savings either but I think like all things a baby can cost as much as you want to spend .
mama2E Posts: 670
IMO there is never a right time! Something will always come up. However when your pregnant things seem to fall into perspective. As regards the pill - from a lot of people on here they have conceived soon after coming off it. I read somewhere that you are more likely to conceive in the immediate months of coming off it. Finally as regards savings. I've always been a terrible saver. But from the day I found out I was pregnant I have been saving think mad each month and can't believe how much I've saved to date. But then again I am not going out a lot and I have bought only the maternity essentials. Basically , my advise is to just go for it. Don't get obsessed about it but have a wonderful time trying............. Good luck! O-O
mrs.smiffy Posts: 1747
I agree with Mama2b, there is never the right time. DH and I moved countries 6 months ago, got off the pill in End December and we initally wanted to wait till August before ttc but we got very broody too. So we decided just to go for it.. Even though we were totally taken by surprise that it happend that quick, we're now very excited and looking forward to have our little "pre christmas present" in a few months. We have no savings either but a loan to pay off additional to the normal bills every month but what we do is spreading the costs. i.e. you dont' have to get a cot and a moses basket at once, get the basket first and buy the cot when the baby is too big for the basket. Ask family and friends if they have any baby clothes, furniture or other items left or if they know anyone.. Go to 2nd hand sales to buy baby stuff. I've got a stroller, high chair, babycot, breastpump and a few other items from my SIL and my sis has a good amount of clothes at home too... There's always a way to work things out. :o0
alton Posts: 3077
To address the question re the pill - it can take a while for the cycle to settle in, BUT, if you are not planning on getting pregnant yet you need to use a condom or some other form of contraception that won't affect your fertility but will keep you from getting pregnant. (sorry to be stating the obvious) I'd strongly recommend getting a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler which is an absolutely brilliant guide to conception. I promise you will find things out about your body that you never knew! If you want, you could start tracking your cycle by recording your temperatures and the type of cervical fluid (it's all explained in the book) and when you're ready to ttc you'll be all set to go!
Its Me Posts: 1788
I would say come off the pill when you decide to TTC. I was on the pill without a break for 13/14 years. It took us 6 months to conceive. Best of Luck hope you all goes well.
Christmas B Posts: 6191
[color=indigo:3lqmdzjq]There's never a right time to get pg as there'll always be something that it'll co-incide with!! I was on the Pill for 12 years and got pg the first month I came off it. Remember, you can get pg at any stage of the month, the first month only, that you come off the Pill. Once you get your first period it's back to normal conceiving dates!! [/color:3lqmdzjq]