Where to get good clothes steamer?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lianbride10 Posts: 13
Anyone know or have brought a good clothes steamer? Both bridesmaids and my dress look like they will crease and we have to transport them about 2 hours away from the seamstress's house so think it would be handy to have one of my one if they are reasonably priced. Did a search on net but not showing up many in Ireland.
hairdye Posts: 1129
Im nearly certain argos sell them, have you tried there?
wah Posts: 1414
i haveone of the types from argos that sits on its own unit if that makes sense, you put the water into the unit rather than the actual iron and you can use the iron upright and just press the steam button constantly and it would do the same as any dry cleaners steam, now i wouldnt know if there is certain fabrics not suitable for steaming but if you are willing to invest in something i think they would be your best option, my mam bought one of the steamers from those tv ads and it was a load of poop!
JustBecause Posts: 3242
[quote="wah":2z3q8npa]i haveone of the types from argos that sits on its own unit if that makes sense, you put the water into the unit rather than the actual iron and you can use the iron upright and just press the steam button constantly and it would do the same as any dry cleaners steam, now i wouldnt know if there is certain fabrics not suitable for steaming but if you are willing to invest in something i think they would be your best option, my mam bought one of the steamers from those tv ads and it was a load of poop![/quote:2z3q8npa] +1 We have a [i:2z3q8npa]steam generator iron[/i:2z3q8npa]. The iron is like a normal iron but it has a base unit where you put the water in and makes lots of steam. I find it great for regular ironing and steaming suits, silk dresses etc. We got it on sale for £50. Argos have a load of them on their site. €70 seems to be the cheapest. If you get one for this you will definitely use it again. Have you checked with the seamstress about the best way to maintain the dresses and if the fabric is suitable to steam?
spudnik Posts: 211
Check your local Lidl, I saw them yesterday in the shop near me. :)
lianbride10 Posts: 13
Thanks for all the suggestions, will check out Argos and Lidl tomorrow