Menu

Where to start?? HELP!

Go to All Things Wedding

Deirdre Costello
New Wolly

Where to start?? HELP!

Postby Deirdre Costello » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:48 pm

Hi

I’m a first time poster and hoping someone can help. I got engaged 2 days ago and although I’m enjoying it and it was very much a surprise. I never wanted a long engagement so wanted to start planning bits and pieces and I’m already overwhelmed. Where do you start? Should I get a planner? I have no close friends or family who’ve been married recently (last 15yrs) so I’ve no one to turn to so I said I’d try here

CasualBride
Major Wolly

Re: Where to start?? HELP!

Postby CasualBride » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:10 am

Hi Deirdre,

If you think you'd like to use a wedding planner, then they'll definitely organise almost everything for you but I wouldn't think it's necessary to use one. It's just personal preference.
My advice to you would be to get a rough idea in your mind of a date, and then contact some hotels that you like, see if they have availability and go to meet with their wedding coordinators, who are usually full of advice and tips.
Once you know what dates are available at the hotel you want, then you can work from there with checking availability for a church if you're having a church wedding, and a band. They're the biggest things really - you'll usually be fine with things like flowers, hair & makeup as there are plenty of suppliers to choose from but the venue and the band can be the biggest things to try to pin down, so that would be my advice to you!
Don't worry - it's not that hard, to be honest! Or at least, it's as hard or as easy as you want to make it; you can get totally absorbed in wedding planning if you like paying attention to small details, or you can just book the important stuff and let the professionals just get on with their jobs, while you just turn up on the day!! :)

girlnamedgrace
New Wolly

Postby girlnamedgrace » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:09 am

Congratulations Deirdre!
I think the best thing to do first is decide what kind of wedding you guys want, do you want the big traditional wedding with 100+ or do you want small and intimate family only, or do you want to go abroad.
Once you've an idea roughly or what you'd like you can take it from there. I found picking a venue helped everything fall into place, it kind of dictated the look and feel of the day.
Choosing a time of year also helps other things fall into place: summer weddings will be different to winter weddings etc.

zenlife
New Wolly

Postby zenlife » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:37 am

Congratulations Deirdre - these are wonderful times now to get married: the choices available are fantastic regarding traditional and/or alternative ceremonies. You say you don't want a long engagement so I would advise you to check out the legal side of things. Check out the Citizens Information website or HSE website regarding 'intent to marry notification' which has to be submitted 3 months in advance. Then check out Irish websites like weddingdates.ie for both inspiration and information.
Best wishes
Anne

Donna Kelly
New Wolly

Postby Donna Kelly » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:42 pm

Im like yourself and got engaged recently. Like others have said I think the best thing to do is write a list of the things that matter most to you and go from there. Because you dont want a long engagement I would try get an idea on venue first as some of them book up so long in advance. A short engagement I would sit down and get ideas of dates in my head and then get onto venues and see if they have availability.

Deirdre Costello
New Wolly

Postby Deirdre Costello » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:32 pm

Thanks for all the help ladies couldn’t find replies til this evening

FUNtastic cornerstone
Deirdre Costello
New Wolly

Postby Deirdre Costello » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:35 pm

We found the perfect venue and booked the church based on the fact they would host our wedding only to be told 3days later that they wouldn’t accommodate us because we wouldn’t do a Friday wedding so back to square one!!

jannikpietzsch
New Wolly

Postby jannikpietzsch » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:53 am

Hi,

You can hire a professional wedding planner which gives you a planned wedding according to your way which includes Proper venue, wedding arrangements, professional photographers etc.

Go to All Things Wedding