Where to start??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

candypants Posts: 8575
wishin&hoping Posts: 3666
First of all don't get stressed about it. I think you need to do a budget & decide what you are going to spend on what. 2 help with the hotel costs I think you should go around & see what hotels you like & what they are offering. Buy some things 2nd hand like veils. They are a bit pricy so 2nd hand is excellent value & its only been worn for a few hours. What part of the country are you looking at
Rocksie80 Posts: 4045
Hi Chatterbox Congrats on setting your date- we've just set ours for Oct 2011, so not long after yours! I was a bit unsure where to start too, and so far we've just spoken to priest and hotel we are planning on using. Like you, we are slowly saving for the wedding, so at the moment we haven't a lot to spend. I hope to put a small deposit on hotel over weekend, just to secure the date. I suppose it's never too early to draw up your guest list, and a spreadsheet of different things you need for the day. I've done this and am now researching prices so I can start totting up the sums! Not actually booking / buying but getting an idea of it all. After Christmas I hope to start paying for bits and pieces so costs are spread out. I think 2 years is a realistic timeline. Save what you can, it all adds up. Don't worry about panicking... you have plenty of time, a H2B who loves you and the brains of loads of wollies to pick!!
Ah thanks girls, im nearly welling here, doh! :o0 Im in Dublin North, so any help or suggestions for me would be great, i dont mind cutting back on almost everything as the church is the most important part to us..... God i needed to get that off my chest, but now that i have im getting palpatations in everything :eek Im itching for months to decide on date, now that i think we finally have and ive spoke about it here for the first time i feel, oh i cant back out now! Whats that all about? Did anyone else feel like this when booking, maybe its just me :-8
wishin&hoping Posts: 3666
North Dublin isn't really my area but I can recommend this woman for invites when you get to that stage http://www.lilylouandyou.co.uk/index.htm I have a mass booklet template that I can send to you if you pm me your email. Have to say this was the most stressful part. Doing a guestlist is a good idea. Allow a few extra just incase. At least if you have less it means a few extra pound in the kitty over having to find extra. Try soucre what you can through friends. My cake was made by a friend. Music in the church was also provided by a friend & that was there gift to us. If you are looking for lovely BM dresses without breaking the bank here are a few websites. Much better stock in the places then on the web http://www.gunagalore.ie/ http://www.dressconnection.ie/ http://www.darlingwear.ie/ And Haggle
Thanks shelly your a O:o) Sis can do my mass booklets, she done her own last year and loves a challenge :o0 so ive already decided shes for this job :o0 Im thinking of going for m&s cake and invites, ill have a look at that invitation site now though just to see. Im only having about 60 for sit down meal but a big afters. The church part and the dancing and getting drunk part are what im looking forward to :o0 if i had my way id cut all the middle bit out :hic Ohhhhh!!!! Am i really gonna go ahead with this :eek yikes!! Gonna do up my guest list this minute thanks for that :lvs Anyone else any suggestions, all welcome :thnk
Starbar2010 Posts: 1261
Congrats on setting your date. Now that you've done that you can start planning which is ever so much fun!I'm guessing you've booked your church seen as you've picked your date. If not thats the first thing I would do. O:o) Then perhaps you should make a very rough guest list to see the size of room you are going to need. Theere are loads of venues for big and small weddings. After you know the size of your reception then I would start to look at venues. you have loads of time so decide what you want. Do you want a hotel room that you can do what you want? Or do you want something else with a little bit of character thats easy to decorate.
We havnt done a thing booked yet, only talking about it all this week........ :o)ll I done up who i want at my sit down meal and its only 50, so ill say 60 just incase. Its only small as h2b has 9 brothers and sisters alone and then there partners, then my sister and partners and our friends. I just dont feel like inviting aunts and uncles as i dont see them for about 6 months at a time, i just feel i want it more intimate and important to us rather than inviting tom dick and harry cause we HAVE to :-8 Ill do up my after list now, its gonna be a long one, i dont even know where to start here.................. As for venue, the best deal for what were getting is the red cow 4star hotel. Any any feedback on this?
Starbar2010 Posts: 1261
Havent heard any review on Red Cow but Have you tried Waterside in Donabate? Its in a lovely spot. You may need a hotel with two rooms if you want 50/60 for a sit down and then a huge party You should definately do what you want. I am inviting lots of relatives who I haven't seen in years but we're taing it as a time to catch up.
Yes, each to there own, :o)ll When we originally booked the wedding years ago that we had to cancel, that was the waterside, and i remembering saying what i wanted in the first place, as in the 50 people, and there was problems, so i went ahead and booked anyway and said ah sure we'll just invite everyone and have it here, but secretly i knew this wasnt the wedding i wanted. So i know from last time that the waterside dont cater for this type......