Which bottles & formula????

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mrs Lucy06 Posts: 929
Hey girls just wondering can any mom's help me out, looking at buying steriliser & bottles soon which are the best to buy & what formula is the best to use??? Dont have a clue about this!!!! :-8 Any help appreciated!! Cheers Lucy :o)ll
charli Posts: 5994
i used the avent steriliser and the bottles but the thinner nuk botttles also fitted into too i found it so easy to use, plus i had the avent breasy pump so kinda just stayed with avent until baby was older, then i bought slimmer bottles so baby could hold herself HTH
MrsNoc05 Posts: 1823
I bought the Avent steriliser and bottles too and so far they seem to be working out fine - I didnt buy any formula until I tried what worked in the hospital cos sometimes the feeds you get in the hospital baby doesnt take to so you might end up with formula thats no good to you. So far we tried the SMA gold in the hospital and it seems to be working out just fine but we had a choice of Cow & Gate and Aptamil, I chose the SMA. HTH MrsNoc
jen2 Posts: 3106
I have the Avent sterliser from before, and the avent bottles as the fit my avent breast pump. But with DS i had to get the DR BRown/ BE free bottle as he had really bad collic, even while Breast feeding. But the fitted into the sterliser too. With regards to Formula i was breast feeding, but hospital told me to use Aptimil if you breast feed as it tastes the nearest to breast milk? So that what i used. Jen2
Mrs Lucy06 Posts: 929
Thanks girls for the replies!!! Think I will ask my midwife what formula would be best! Just wanna be prepared!!!! Lucy
Hepburn Posts: 4081
I have the avent steam steriliser, little bottles, big bottles and breast pump. They are all holding out well second time around. The small bottles are great for freezing dinners when they go on to solids.
Moet for me Posts: 1841
Hey Lucy I used SMA formula and Avent bottles and an avent sterliser. I'd highly recommend the Avent because the wide necks make it a little easier to get the formula in. As regards the SMA well my mam used it for my brother so that is probably why I used it but since then I have heard good things about aptimal and I especially like the fact that they have encorporated this corner piece on the side of the box so that you can get a level scoop without using a knife (which you have to sterlise) so I think I'd use that next time around. Just because you only ever need to know these things when you have a child but typically you wouldn't change your babies formula unless they have a problem with it because their wee tummys get upset by the change.
oldwolnewman Posts: 58
Hi Lucy I also used the Avent Bottles & Sterlisers. found them great to be honest. J uses a nuk soother but wouldn't take to the nuk bottles. The formula I used was SMA. When he was born I fed him Aptimil and all he did was puke puke puke! then I changed him to SMA Gold and it wouldn't fill him at all, so at 12 days old sleep deprived and nearly cracking up I brought him to the PHN and she told me to put him on SMA White and never ever looked back. At 6 months I put him on the SMA Progress and he only takes one bottle now and that is the 7 pm bottle and even then only drinks 4-5 oz. Best of luck with your decisions. Only advice I can really give you is not to go buying any formula just yet as you can see from my post I changed formula 3 times in 12 days. Best of luck! C
babe06 Posts: 898
Everyone seems to use the Avent steriliser but I'm just wondering is that because its well known? A friend of mine recommended the Tommy Tippee bottles as she said it was the only one her soon woould take too after a long time breastfeeding. So when I went into Byrnes to get as steriliser and bottles Dh picked up avent one and siad the books recommended this but I wanted the tommy tippee one - the avent was €84 whereas the T T was €34!! The only difference being the avent kept them sterilised for longer. Unfortunately i haven't tried it yet so can't comment on use. Can anyone else? Great advice on formula - thanks
Tedsters Posts: 1688
Anybody using the gold old fashioned version - just cold water in special bucket thingie and milton? They seem to hold more and can take all sorts of shapes and sizes more easily and are used in the hospitals.