Menu

which holles street consultant

Go to Pregnancy & Babies

crossroads2013
Mini Wolly

which holles street consultant

Postby crossroads2013 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:41 am

Hi girls,

I've just gotten my bpf and have a million and one questions but after GP apt yesterday it seems the first thing I need to sort is a consultant. I'm going to go private in Holles Street, GP recommended the few names - Cathy Allen; Shane Higgins; Rhona O'Mahony; Fiounnuala McAufliffe - but I'm finding it very hard to find any concrete information anywhere on who to choose.

I'm the type of person that over-analyses, goes into research overdrive and will ask question after question so need someone who's going to give me 'facetime' GP said some of them don't really go in for that. Any and all help appreciated, I feel so alone in all this given I can't ask family/friends...

Bfp4me2013
Princess Wolly

Postby Bfp4me2013 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:53 am

Last edited by Bfp4me2013 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

princesselm
Mini Wolly

Re: which holles street consultant

Postby princesselm » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:01 pm

congrats!

i'd highly recommend Stephen carroll. he is one of the nicest people I've ever met as well as being a great doctor (known as one of the best scanners in the world apparently!). his secretary is so lovely too and you have plenty of dealing with the secretaries, arranging appointments etc.

also, a lot of doctors I know go to him (and a lot go to Declan keane too) so I kind of think they would know who'd good.

wishing you a happy and healthy 9 months!

crossroads2013
Mini Wolly

Postby crossroads2013 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:29 pm

Thanks bfp4me - I've actually stayed away from the ttc forum since finding out this week because I'm so nervous something might go wrong. Once I'm a bit more relaxed i'll post an update but I'm afraid to the moment - so ironic though how one day I'm worrying about time off for fertility stuff and literally the next I'm researching consultants. Life is so full of surprises...

Thanks for the recommendation on Stephen Carroll and Declan Keane Princess Elm, I think i'll do a bit of googling on them now as well as the others.. its such a minefield. I analyse every decision I make no matter how insignificant but this one feels so monumental and I feel like I'm having to do it with so little information to hand.

Flower Girl
Wolly Addict

Postby Flower Girl » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:57 pm

I went to Rhona Mahony and was really happy with her. I can't say I got a whole lot of 'face time' with her, but that was more because I was lucky enough to have an extremely straightforward pregnancy, so the visits were generally very quick. (Also, I suppose because I'm a doc myself I didn't tend to have many questions.) I certainly never felt rushed. And there were a few complications around my delivery which she was brilliant for, I felt in very safe hands the whole time.

She also manages to look ultra-glam while digging around for your placenta at three in the morning, somehow... If that's important to you :)

shortandsweet
New Wolly

Postby shortandsweet » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:38 am

I can highly recommend Shane Higgins, he has delivered my SIL's 3 kids and mine last Feb. Lots of face time, appointments were never a rush, he has a really gentle bedside manner. Little things like helping you off the table etc. and his secretary is lovely. You can always contact him through her, via email/phone etc. Have heard Stephen Carroll is great too.

John Walsh Guitar
Sueinred
New Wolly

Postby Sueinred » Tue May 08, 2018 12:40 pm

Hi,

I would recommend Dr. Shane Higgins. He is a lovely man, takes his time to explain things.

Shane Higgins delivered my second baby last year. I had a premature birth on my first girl and there were other complications.

It all worked out in the end, but it was a very stressful birth. So second time around I decided to go with a consultant to be safe.

Shane Higgins also has a preterm clinic that is so helpful.

Best of luck!! :xox

Go to Pregnancy & Babies