White or Ivory icing on your wedding cake?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

OrTees Posts: 907
We are making (H2B) and icing (me) our own cake. I am trying to decide whether to buy white or ivory sugarpaste. Some people have recommended ivory, that it looks better on a wedding cake, but I want to make some roses too and there doesn't seem to be ivory petal paste available. I could make them out of the sugarpaste - they wouldn't look quite as refined but probably still ok. I would love to know what colour sugarpaste other people are getting/had on their cake. Any feedback or tips would be great, thanks :thnk
bondijunction Posts: 805
Hiya what colour is your dress? I would go for ivory and you can colour white petal paste if you want ivory flowers. Or you could match the roses to your BM colours.
Bride2be040812 Posts: 1182
I would go for whatever colour your dress is... If you cant make the matching roses then how about doing colour ones to match your bouquets? Or using a robbon trim and using fresh flowers?
OrTees Posts: 907
Thanks for all the replies. My dress is ivory and I am planning on using a ribbon and lace trim. I think I will go for the ivory icing and see if I can make some roses and try to colour them to match the colour scheme. Failing that I will resort to fresh flowers!
mrs2013 Posts: 213
Im going for white but thats just because my dress is white. theres a shop in clane kildare www.decobake.com there like suppliers for the cake industry but the public can go in i think they might have other shops around the country but you can buy roses and flowers for cakes made from sugar paste it might help you out.
vulgarpicture Posts: 571
Hi, I had white icing as my dress was a very light ivory and i didnt want the cake to look dirty beside it. I have to say the white looked really lovely.
Daisy Row Posts: 3650
Never even considered this O:| Making my own cake and automatically went with white icing!! With 6 weeks to go I really don't want to be stressing about icing, do you think it really matters? My dress is dark ivory (almost champagne)
Bride2be040812 Posts: 1182
[quote="Daisy Row":39a7sdz9]Never even considered this O:| Making my own cake and automatically went with white icing!! With 6 weeks to go I really don't want to be stressing about icing, do you think it really matters? My dress is dark ivory (almost champagne)[/quote:39a7sdz9] I actually think this would look lovely Daisy row. The white cake will show off the colour if your dress. If your dress was a light ivory it may look funny in photos beside a white cake but your will be perfect. If you're uncertain I would add a champagne ribbon to the edging to tie it all in together but it wouldnt look out of place at all. I actually think it will make your dress pop. Especially if you're having coloured flowers or something on the table.
lulu126 Posts: 1095
We chose ivory for ours but only because the white looked very bright if you know what I mean. Also my dress is ivory so it matches but I thought the ivory looked a bit softer. Cakebox in Dun Laoghaire has an amazing selection of cake decoration tools and sugarcraft btw.