Who do you blame for the economic crisis? POLL

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lux Posts: 6270
Given the current enviroment, elections etc I thought Wollies might like to get it off their chest. So, who do you blame? Vote now, pratice for the election!
Finicky Fi Posts: 2134
You could add the legal profession (the link between all sides), estate agents and farmers to that list!
handtwins Posts: 866
You missed off the greedy public all living beyond their means on credit! Thats who I partially blame :innocent:
teapotty Posts: 2085
Right I said FF, European Policy (lack thereof), Banks & Opposition not strong enough. Basically the main problem was a property bubble caused by sh*hite planning laws and sh*ite banking regulation. I think the whole thing could really have been a lot less severe (we'd obviously still have suffered a bit from the general downturn) if we had strict planning & development laws and stricter lending practices. That is the fault of the Irish Gov (FF & Opposition), Europe (they've had crashes before, they should have stepped in) and the banks were greedy and took advantage of the loose regulation.
Finicky Fi Posts: 2134
I chose FF and all of us. Most of us lived beyond our means. I can't really blame private enterprises for taking advantage of gullible people. Even if the crisis couldn't have been prevented, its resolution could be handled better. If the current government were able stand up for themselves, they would have been able negotiate better terms for the bail out we received from the eu.
ott Posts: 3920
[quote="CNB2011":1j6gwx0d]You missed off the greedy public all living beyond their means on credit! Thats who I partially blame :innocent:[/quote:1j6gwx0d] +1
Kaycee Posts: 2107
fianna fail and the unions and everyone who was obsessed with property
Bonnie Parker Posts: 2670
[quote="mafiros81":2nz5rtvq]You could add the legal profession (the link between all sides), estate agents and farmers to that list![/quote:2nz5rtvq] You are on fire this evening Mafiros81 - Can you please explain how farmers are responsible for the economic crisis? Oh wait - Because they sold sites. Get a grip. You hold them responsible for the economic crisis?
I Dream in Disney Posts: 1592
I don't think any one political party can be held responsible for the recession, it was a world-wide downturn. However, I don't understand why Ireland had to be effectively bailed-out. I think everybody holds a small portion of the guilt. And the paranoid part of me suspects that there is a guiding hand in a lot of global activities. I try not to think too much about it though, kinda freaks me out. I like living in my own little bubble.
Scruff1 Posts: 3139
I ticked all of us, I think everyone had a part ot play in it. Everyone got wrapped up in the whole Celtic Tiger, no one was turning down money when it was offered and budgeting didn't seem to matter to alot of people including myself. I know spending was encouraged and we were constantly being told that the country was loaded and who were we to question this when the people running the place should know best. I think you cannot blame one person/party/business or bank on this, we were all involved!