Who preforms the Membrane Sweep?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

OAT Posts: 2207
Hi Is it your GP or midwife who does the Membrane Sweep?
chocaholic gal Posts: 201
Hi OAT, I attended the Rotunda Semi Private and the Consultant done my sweep for me. HTH
valentine09 Posts: 681
The consultant. I found the gp just checked bllod pressure, urine and felt the baby and babies heart beat. The consultant did the sweep or anything internal.
ghostchild2 Posts: 6237
What is a Membrane Sweep????
Smurfette Posts: 522
Consultant for me as well. I had a hospital appointment at 39 weeks and was examined by the mid-wife. She said that the head was almost fully engaged and asked if I wanted a sweep to move things along. I wanted it, so she said she had to get the consultant to do, and called him in, and she was there for it as well. Ghostchild2 - Membrane sweeping is done by your midwife or doctor. While internally examining you, she will simply "sweep" a finger around your cervix (neck of your womb). The aim is to separate the membranes around your baby from your cervix. This releases hormones called prostaglandins, which may kick-start your labour. A membrane sweep increases the likelihood that labour will start within 48 hours. It has a higher chance of working if your cervix is already softening and preparing for labour. It does not increase the risk of infection to either you or your baby. I didn't find it painful, but I know some women do. I found it more uncomfortable....kinda reminded me of having a cervical smear. About 20 mins after I had mine done, I had extremely bad cramps and had to go back to bed....and I was like that for the rest of the day. The next morning I had a show. But labour didn't start until 6 days later for me.
sparklybabe Posts: 3353
sometimes midwives do it too. depends on the practice of the hosp/clinic
ghostchild2 Posts: 6237
Thanks Smurfette :wv