Who should carry the Olympic torch through Dublin?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lolabelle Posts: 3311
I heard on Today FM they are mentioning Bono or Jedward. All I can say is PLEASE DON'T EMBARRASS US BY PICKING A WALKING PENIS OR THE TWITS :duh: :duh: :duh: How about someone who has actually done something worthwhile. Who would you choose?
Bride2be040812 Posts: 1182
I am biased but I think it should be one of Special Olympics athletes. They have repressented us on a world stage last year at the Summer Games in Athens - did amazing well and we should be proud of them. They train every week like main stream athletes and I think it would be wonderful for one of them to have this kind of recognition with main stream olympics.
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
I think it should be a youngester. I don't believe in giving celebs these sorts of jobs. I think the Games have been going on for so long now, it's all about the future generation of athletes to make sure the Games continue for many years to come, isn't it? Giving kids pride in something, encouraging them that they too could be Olympic athletes one day. I think sports clubs (GAA soccer rugby) should nominate a kid and there should be a draw or something. I think an ordinary kid who loves his/her sport and has big dreams should be up there carrying that torch.
Hmm the Special Olympics Athletes kind of already had their limelight. I think SK is right. Someone ordinary but extraordinary if you get me.
Rogue User Posts: 6101
40 people will be picked to carry it so hopefully it will be a good mix. If we just picked youngsters and Special Olympics athletes I would be worried it would not attract the same level of attention that it would if a big name celeb or sports star was carrying it. This is a great tourism opportunity for Ireland and a chance for our country to get a bit of media attention so yeah I think big name is vital.
[quote="BrideOfRecession":h4dq5ufc]I think big name is vital.[/quote:h4dq5ufc] I agree that there should be one or two big names but NOT Bono or Jedward ...
boodlesdoodles Posts: 900
Why is the torch coming through Dublin anyway?
C13 Posts: 289
Well I was channel hopping last night and turned that Craig Doyle program on and there was Jedward and I think from what words I could catch from their ramblings that there was a definite mention of the Olympic Torch and them...........so who knows!
Rogue User Posts: 6101
[quote="lolabelle":v76h1ai4][quote="BrideOfRecession":v76h1ai4]I think big name is vital.[/quote:v76h1ai4] I agree that there should be one or two big names but NOT Bono or Jedward ...[/quote:v76h1ai4] Love him or hate him, Bono is an international superstar and the head of one a band that is considered one of the best ever. I don't like him either but you can't deny he is a huge attraction for others. Jedward, again they have a huge following and if they win the Eurovision there will be more hype around them. So I wouldn't count either of them out. I like Colin Farrell and I love that he is involved with the Special Olympics.
Mrs W Posts: 2923
Colin farrell would be a good choice. I'm listening to ray darcy here and there's lots of suggestions for Darren sutherlands parents or jim stynes family. I think we should get Bertie to do it, he wouldn't pass up such a thing then we could all stand out and throw stuff at him, more like a walk of shame.. :eek