Who will get paid maternity benefit?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Nance Posts: 161
Hi All Well I am one of the ones that won't and am just curious as to how many people actually will get paid. In my 2 previous companies I would have definitely got paid, should have stayed where I was, now I face the bread line, surviving on 280 a week :o( But we'll get there, there's more to worry about than that! If anyone has been through this already, and survived on the statutory minimum, please share your money saving / cost saving tips whilst on leave! thanks Nance :thnk
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
I didnt get paid, so only had the €280. To be honest is didnt go out much so i didnt spend much. I didnt buy clothes as took a while to lose the weight. Didnt really go out for drinks or meals as i was breastfeeding so saved money there. I also had more time to do grocery shopping so i found i could get better bargains as usually it was a rush job. I also cooked things like lasagne, shepards pie etc that did for 2 dinners and it worked out cheaper. Thats all i can think of for the moment, try and save a bit now and buy baby stuff over the coming months and you may not notice it as much.
baby peanut Posts: 810
Hi Nance, hope your pregnancy is going well. *) I get paid maternity leave in work but I'm not too sure what to vote (because of the way the vote is worded)because I have to sign all my maternity benefit cheques over to them, so my salary stays the same. I think I just vote yes.
rushinbride Posts: 1097
I voted yes - i will be getting paid while on leave, however when I had my son I was surviving on something like 200 a wk - it was almost 7 yrs ago and thats what the rate was then...I was 21 and if at 21 i was able to do it, you'll find you'll manage too...it means a lot of sacrafice, you'll be buying the cheap toilet roll in tesco for 99c!! you'll get used to it, and you'll appreciate the value of your euro a lot more! With your OH's salary - things work out alright, you won't go hungry, you won't be cold, but the pub mightn't see you as often as it did before...but you'll have a lovely baby at home... Honestly all these things tend to work out, it takes a few wks to adjust to it all - but you will...
*coolaboola* Posts: 374
i voted yes- my 280 euro per week goes straight ot my employer, who then tops it up so i'm on full salary for the first 6 months of my leave... then unpaid leave kicks in. hth... :wv