Who will give me away??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mummy Posts: 97
Please help...My Dad passed away last year and i am torn between my Granda - (my mums Dad whom I'm very close to) and my godfather (who is my Dads brother) to give me away. ???????????
marianf Posts: 5845
Tough one alright. Maybe you could ask your grandad to give you away but ask your godfather to take your fathers place at the top table and do the fob speech. That way both play a very very special part.
AHappyMrs Posts: 622
Oh gosh this is a toughie... Do you have any brother's? could one of them maybe step in? I suppose you'll just have to bite the bullet and choose one... does your godfather have any daughter's?... if not id go with him as he wont have had the opportunity to walk someone down the isle, whereas your grandfather has had the chance. HTH
Irish07 Posts: 725
Hi Bridezilla, Why don't you walk down the aisle with both arm in arm - it's different!! Or you could walk down the aisle with your Mam, it doesn't have to be a male relative! My father is still alive but if he wasn't I would walk down rhe aisle alone or with my elder brother.
MrsWhippy09 Posts: 2346
I think it would be lovely for your Grandad to give you away as you are very close to him! I love Marianf's idea about the speeches.... you can have them both at the top table.
Milly83 Posts: 3620
Firstly, sorry to hear about your dad. Would either of them be offended if you chose the other? Personally, if my dad wasn't around, I think I would walk down on my own and imagine him there. Or, I would choose your mam if you can't decided between the 2.
Finished here Posts: 2860
In Italy each member of the wedding party is walked down aisle by someone e.g. father & bride, bridesmaid & mother of bride, mother of groom and groom. could you do something like that your grandad and you cos your close and he is your mums father so its kinda just skipping a generation as your dad cant do it but your godfather could walk your mum down the aisle ?? And I love the idea of the speeches and top table arrangements as previously suggested - both can have a special role !
WinterGal Posts: 835
bridezilla17, So sorry to hear about your Dad, but don't worry he'll be with you in Spirit. I also didn't have my Dad to give me away so I chose my godfather (who is the same as you, Dad's brother) , it really was so fitting and I was delighted to get him involved in the day and the build up because we didn't really get on great as I was growing up, but that kinda fixed everthing! It is a tough decision you have but I'd image neither would be disappointed whoever you go for. The closest to your Dad is probably your godfather.
Bunnybaby Posts: 2701
bridezilla17, sorry to hear bout your dad i think if it was me i would have my grandad and have my godfather give a speech or both of them give a speech at least that way you are involving both of them I am going to have the same problem my mam and dad have passed away, as has my grandad and believe it or not godfather too, I have two brothers though and am kinda closer to one than the other and always said i would have him give me away but it turns out i am marring one of his best friends and i just dont think it would be right to have him walk me down the aisle and hand me over (so to speak) to his friend and also was going to pick him as my older brother already gave my sister away so im in a bit of a quandrum aswell
Finished here Posts: 2860
Oh iam so sorry to hear you've lost so many people in your life bunny but i think it would be lovely your brother "officially" giving you away to his friend - unless he would feel uncomfortable. Otherwise could your sisters hubby do it - but that would be weird too as he hasnt known you all your life !