Why buy and expensive dress only to sell it?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

blissful2b Posts: 1555
i've noticed a few brides selling their very expensive gowns shortly after being married for half the price. why bother spending so much on a dress only to sell it on and lose half the money?
glowgal Posts: 949
I would think its coz they want to recoup some of the money they spent!! Alot of brides can't really afford a really expensive dress so if they sell it they will get at least half their money back, seems pretty obvious to me!!
princesselm Posts: 240
i won't be selling mine but i'm guessing they do it coz they love the dress but can't afford it if they're not going to get some of the money back. i'd defo rather do this than get a cheaper dress i didn't love as much that's going to stay in the wardrobe forever anyway. it's all for the love of THE dress!
Missus Lippy Posts: 5879
Or, get to have the dress of your dreams and get some of the money back on it. I admit it's a gamble alright, what happens if you can't sell it after all.
i don't mind the selling bit, i mean buying the expensive dress in the first place :-8
Betsy May Posts: 2168
I don't understand - why should you mind other people buying expensive dresses? Expensive is relative and if someone loves a dress from a high end designer, why shouldn't they buy it if they have the money? And if they opt to sell it afterwards (whether their reason is not leaving it to go mouldy in the wardrobe or to get some cash back), that's great. Gives other brides the chance to buy a dress they may not otherwise have been able to afford.
sweet cheeks Posts: 1119
I'll be selling my dress and veil after, I love it but why would i keep them. I'll have the lovely Pictures of the day of me in it and memories forever. So i would rather another girl get use of my dress too.
[quote="Betsy May":1kkpoz08]I don't understand - why should you mind other people buying expensive dresses? Expensive is relative and if someone loves a dress from a high end designer, why shouldn't they buy it if they have the money? And if they opt to sell it afterwards (whether their reason is not leaving it to go mouldy in the wardrobe or to get some cash back), that's great. Gives other brides the chance to buy a dress they may not otherwise have been able to afford.[/quote:1kkpoz08] i just think it's mad. it's like going and buying an expensive car, using it for a day and then selling it at a loss.! i dunno! just wondered! i don't have anyhting against ppl buying or selling dresses!
August08bride Posts: 139
I dont understand what your question is? (sorry!) I mean, if its why sell your wedding dress - its too obvious an answer to warrant the question, isnt it? - why wouldnt you? - your never going to wear it again so might aswell get some of your money back. I wont be selling mine, Im going to get it preserved for my little girl incase she ever wants it/ material from it etc.. but can definately see the sense in selling. (sorry if I sound rude btw, I dont mean to - I just dont "get" what your asking.x)
frecklz Posts: 1839
I'm selling mine simply because I will never wear it again and don't want it hanging in the cupboard gathering mildew when someone else can be making use of it. It's too gorgeous to go to waste. I didn't buy it with the intention of selling it, I bought it cos I loved it. But common sense tells me to sell it on to someone else. :wv Maybe your point is the whole half price thing? In that case, half price is probably the only way someone will buy it second hand.