Why can't you lie on your back?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

NotHere Posts: 10273
I know your not supposed to, but why? Is it an over-heating thing?
Me Julia Posts: 1352
if you lie flat on your back you can cause Supine hypotensive syndrome- this is where the uterus falls back and rests on the pelvic rim, this causes an impair in blood flow and may lead to dizziness and nausea.
NotHere Posts: 10273
Thanks! :thnk I have a tendancy to fall onto my back as I go to sleep so really making an effort to stay on my sides. Will get hubbie to push me over if I do!
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
That's what I do Flutterby! Now he finds that he wakes up so much during the night just to make sure I'm on my side :o0 The poor fella hasn't had a decent night sleep in a week!
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
I always sleep on my back so im going to get one of those wedge pillows and put it behind me so i cant roll over.
Me Julia Posts: 1352
they do good pillows and post to ireland. They do a long pillow you can hug and rest your leg on.
littledolly Posts: 393
I was getting obsessed over not lying on my back, and was getting really poor sleep over it. I normally sleep on my back, and can't get comfortable on my side. I had my ante-natal class last week and the midwife and physio taking it both said that if you are comfortable sleeping on your back, then do that - at the end of the day, you need good quality sleep now more than ever! They said that, as long as it's not causing you any discomfort, then it is fine for the baby. They talked quite a lot about it, as most people in the class had read you shouldn't lie on your back, but they said it is only bad for you if/when it starts to get painful or very incomfortable. I am now back sleeping on my back, and have felt great the last few nights!
mammybean Posts: 10364
i didnt know that you weret meant to lie on your back. i mostly lie on my side anyway but sometimes i feel like i have a stitch
Moet for me Posts: 1841
Littledolly I couldn't agree more I got dreadful back ache from lying on my side as my bump got bigger with dd and I will never do it again if I get pregnant. In my totally humble opinion and given that I'm not at all educated on these type of things, I think that if the human body is created so delicately as to deal with the changes in pregnancy the designer did not miss out this little thing of lying on your back in so far as it would damage your baby. As I say though that is my opinion and it goes totally against medical advice so people are best off sticking to what they are more comfortable doing.