Why is the Dail so empty?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Momof2 Posts: 3884
I tried to watch Dail Beo this morning at 10.30 on TG4 but it wasn't broadcast.. which was unusual. So tuned in to the news this evening to see what was happening today. Both me and my husband were struck by how empty the Dail seemed. TBH the way they conduct themselves in there is so panto it makes me cringe but I still think they should all turn up/ not get paid for that day
lux Posts: 6270
Because there are committee sittings which many Deputies and Senators attend, parliamentary party meetings and other legislative meetings with parliamentary draftspersons on new legislation. If they all turned up to the Dáil to listen to a second stage speech on the chemical amendment bill or other statements it would be a gigantic waste of everyone's time. If you watched the order of business from 10.30-11 you would have seen a full chamber as a vote was called.
yeah thanks lux I understood about sub committees etc.. just thought for leaders questions where Mary Coughlan stood in for Brian Cowen there would have been a fuller house.. Seeing as your in the know any idea why it wan't on TG4 this morning ;) Thanks
[quote="audreys":3myfoicf]yeah thanks lux I understood about sub committees etc.. just thought for leaders questions where Mary Coughlan stood in for Brian Cowen there would have been a fuller house.. Seeing as your in the know any idea why it wan't on TG4 this morning ;) Thanks[/quote:3myfoicf] A vote was called about 10.45 as a Deputy (Alan Shatter) was asked to leave the chamber and refused, so the House was suspended and a vote took place. I get the optics of an empty chamber but other work does go on elsewhere-NAMA were in with the Committee of Public Accounts and a child care strategy was launched by a sub ctte of Health and Children.
Yeah was watching that on the news too.. it must be a fascinating place to work I assume that where you work?? I just feel on days such as this when alot of people who don't have a huge interest in political events will probably watch the news it was a very sorry sight to see such an empty chamber Thanks again Lux
[quote="audreys":3s7u0p3p]Yeah was watching that on the news too.. it must be a fascinating place to work I assume that where you work?? I just feel on days such as this when alot of people who don't have a huge interest in political events will probably watch the news it was a very sorry sight to see such an empty chamber Thanks again Lux[/quote:3s7u0p3p] Oh I totally get it, I work in and around the place (depends on where I am needed) and I can understand why people think everyone should be in the chamber all the time, but most modern parliaments do the vast majority of their work in committee rather than in the upper or lower house, we're almost the same as the British, Scottish and Welsh parliaments.