Will I need a maternity party dress at 16 weeks?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mrs SomeDaySoon Posts: 117
Hey guys, I am going to a wedding in October (will be 16 weeks by then) and will need a new party dress, my current wedding party dress is strapless and I was almost popping out of it last week at a wedding!!!!!! >:o( Do you reckon I will need a proper maternity dress. Isabella Oliver has some beautiful dresses but not sure if I will have a bump by then. what do you advise?
montblanc Posts: 385
I think everyone is different. I'm 16 weeks now, and don't really show but kind of just look fat! (probably due to eating way too much and sleeping most of the time) I'd definately say you'd get away with an ordinary dress if you see one you like, maybe avoid one that is fitted at the waist? some maternity dresses are lovely when worn over a big bump but if you end up just looking flabby like myself you may not want to draw attention to your belly.
Yoda Posts: 3340
Everyone is different but I think you are safe enough going for a normal dress as previous poster said just not fitted There will be loads to choose from in October with Christmas on the way I am nearly 20 weeks and still not big enough for my over the bump jeans
babybrain Posts: 592
everyone is different and if you can I would hold off as long as you can getting a dress to see how you are. It's unlikely that you will have a "bump" at that stage, it's the awkward stage of just looking a little chubby around the belly. The problem with maternity clothes is that most accentuate the "bump" so at that stage they will just accentuate your growing belly. I had a work black tie event when I was 18 weeks. I was frantic wondering what to wear. In the end I bought a non-maternity dress in an empire line style ie caught under the boobs and just flows down and very loose around the belly. This was very comfortable and allowed me to pig out at the dinner without feeling uncomfortable :-)
justwaitin Posts: 2462
id probbley recommend a empire line dress, you probely wont have much of a bump by then , i was about 24 weeks berfore i looked pg instead of fat.
Mrs SomeDaySoon Posts: 117
girls, thanks for your advice. i think an empire line dress is what i will look for.
chicam Posts: 1169
At about 16 weeks I went to a wedding & just bought a dress in a size up. Try Monsoon they have lovely floaty dresses!
Chococat Posts: 1632
[quote="chicam":1g2wlalk]At about 16 weeks I went to a wedding & just bought a dress in a size up. Try Monsoon they have lovely floaty dresses![/quote:1g2wlalk] That is the advice I would have given. A flowy dress 1 size up should be more than enough.