Will you Drink good Friday

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

YoMammaSo Posts: 3256
Either at home or in a pub ( if up the north) and do you agree with the law ? Im kinda putting 2 questions into the poll below !
mrsmoo2202 Posts: 1930
Yep and when I was younger we all used to drive up north early on to stock up. Few of our friends have good Friday parties. The law doesn't sayi can't drink, it just says I can't buy it. It's archaic, and annoyed me last year when the rugby was on, the publicans were allowed to purchase special licence to be able to sell in Limerick. Either keep NGO the law, or get rid of
Ellefun Posts: 1312
I wouldn't purposefully drink on Good Friday... If I fancy a drink I might... It won't be like a big up yours to the Catholic Church. Whenever I have drank on that day it was never a grand gesture or me taking a stand. I didn't select an option on the Poll because I don't know... I haven't planned whether I will or won't have a drink; I won't be drinking for the sake of it iykwim.
Rogue User Posts: 6101
I probably won't drink but not for any of those reasons. I just don't want to drink. I do agree with the ban - it's one other day a year that pub owners and staff get the day off. Maybe they should just ban pubs opening and allow off licenses to open? I don't know. Actually on reading Moo Bride's post, I retract - I don't agree with the ban.
R2theB Posts: 1660
I don't drink all that often so it's not like I'm feeling deprived but I think it's an archaic law that has no place in modern Ireland, it's not the lack of access to booze that bothers me but the fact that it's done on religious grounds. And HELLS YEAH I'll be drinking on Good Friday, invited to some huge BYO party in an old factory and it sounds amazing.
Mrs W Posts: 2923
Hell yeah!! one of our friends always has a party and its great crack!!
HippyChic Posts: 1812
I won't be drinking as I don't drink very often anyway (well, maybe we'll pop open some wine with dinner if we fancy it but there's no plan to drink). I do think the law should be scrapped though, separation of church and state etc, etc
SunnyK Posts: 3834
I've nothing major planned or anything but I'll probably have a few glasses of wine at home and just take it easy. I don't stick to any other religious things like not eating meat on certain days etc and Good Friday is no different to me. Also agree that the law should probably be scrapped now.
StupidSexyFlanders Posts: 8402
I wouldn't drink just because its Good Friday in a "giving two fingers to the establishment" sort of way. If I want to have a glass of wine I will though. I think it is utterly ludicrous that this law is still in place. Not only this, but that if I want to buy a bottle of wine on a Sunday morning for dinner later that day I can't. F-ing ridiculous.
PussyGalore Posts: 3388
I will have a glass of wine yes but as I'm not a big drinker it wouldn't be a boozy night for me, not sure if that's what you meant OP? And yes, I'd support that ban being lifted, I'm all for separation of church and state as well