Will you get the Swine Flu vaccine?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

kittenheels Posts: 59
Hi, Just wondering what you ladies think about the vaccine. I was at my GP's yesterday and she recommends taking it as soon as its available (late Sept she said), as the virus is mutating and getting stronger/more resilient all the time. But, not sure what to do. I've read so much on how rushed the vaccine is, and that there's questions about long term side effects. It's a big decision!
Busy Mom Posts: 2910
at this moment in time i really don't think so. i've read too many scary stories about the side effects children have been getting from Tamiflu and i don't think they've had enough time to sufficiently test this vaccine. i know they can't test it on pregnant women anyway but the fact that theres lists as long as your arm of stuff we shouldn't take i don't think i'd feel right taking it. god forbid i get swine flu i'd be very reluctant to take the Tamiful even and would only take it as a very last resort
FebM2Be Posts: 39
I live in the Uk and its pretty widespread over here. I had an appointment with the consultant last week and I thought I'd ask his advice on the vaccine as I was really unsure about it. He said it was a personal choice and he couldnt advice me what to do, but he said if it was his wife he would tell her not to have it. He said he doesnt trust anything that hasnt been properly tested. So that made my mind up, defiantly not getting it now.
aylala Posts: 3673
I voted no - I feel its too rushed and don't know anything about the side effects so wont be risking the vaccine.
Marpat Posts: 1784
I voted no. I have an appointment with consultant in a week or so so i will ask him then. But my feeling is to get my husband vaccinated and possibly my toddler and the girl I work with has already said she is going to get it so I'm hoping that with constant handwashing and alcohol handgel mght be enough to fend it off. hopefully!!
Diamondz Posts: 2208
I voted no... I have to agree with some of the previous posters - this has not been well tested and noone is really aware of the potential side effects which may not become know for years.... By the time it becomes available to me I will only be a month away from giving birth and feel I will be doing more for my child's protection by not having it!! Remember Thalidomide??? Sorry byt the thought of side effects scares me more than chances of catching the virus...
mrsodo Posts: 1292
I voted no as well, this article I read helped make up my mind..... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... erica.html
Crostini Posts: 1105
not while i'm pregnant anyway. vaccine hasn't been tested on the unborn child as far as i've heard. btw, if the virus mutates, then the vaccine will be no longer any use right?
red_rubies Posts: 2424
God, this all just reminds me of the drug women took years ago for morning sickness - Thalidomide - it caused severe disabilities in children. I just think a drug that is so new is too much of a risk to take, especially for pregnant women. Prob easier for me to say as I'm nearly there but I wouldn't take it!
miracle_baby Posts: 798
Voted no, don't have faith in the vaccine