Windy baby - please help!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

007Babs Posts: 417
Girls help! Baby is so windy this past couple of weeks. He cries bitterly and writhes around after every feed. Hours after a feed, he is still passing wind and looking uncomfortable, despite winding him after the feed. We have tried moving him from the Aptamil First to the Aptamil Hungry Baby food yesterday, but to no avail yet anyway. Nurse recommended Infacol which we tried all yesterday and today but haven't seen any real improvement. We also tried changing from teat size 1 to teat size 2 (Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature). Only happening this past few weeks - which is long enough but I don't know what caused it all of a sudden. I feel so sorry for him. Any ideas greatfully appreciated.
Bumpalicious Posts: 512
Hi there, Our little man was very very windy for the first couple of months, we had him on Aptamil first and Tommee Tippee closer to nature bottles too. When we put him on extra hungry it made things way way worse...he couldnt digest it at all. Here are the things we tried, there's no point in me telling you what worked as every baby really is so different, what works for one won't necessarilty work for another..One thing I would recommend though is that you change to using exclusively Dr Brownes bottles immediately! We found the closer to nature made him take in way more wind. I think these bottles pretty much make a difference to all windy babies from what i've read.. - Infacol - give 20 mins before every bottle. Takes a week or so to kick in in my experience - Colief - Drops that break down the lactose in the milk. - Lactose free formula - Gripe water - you can get this in the north or in UK - Easy Digest formula - Aptamil do one - Keep baby upright for at least 20 mins after a feed - Don't stop too many times to wind as this can increase air they take in. Not often enough is just as bad though, so it's hard to win! Good luck, I know what you're going through, it's a nightmare...
Miss X Posts: 1415
Our guy was the same, I found infacol made him constipated. What worked in the end was giving him gripe water 15mins before his feed (he used to throw the bottles back up when he finally burped) and switching him to Dr Brown bottles. I also changed his food to Cow & Gate comfort and teat size 2. As Bumpalicious said try everything every baby is different, unfortunately!
Septbride Posts: 380
Hi, My little girl had 'colic' too it was heartbreaking watching her as well as exhausting - so my heart goes out to you. We tried infacol first and listened to the nurse and 'kept at it' for 10 days and it didn't work, we put her on colief then and luckily for us that worked more or less straight away it may have had something to do with the fact that she was hitting the 3mths stage by then. We did change her to SMA white - against everyones advise and I don't know really why i risked it after just getting her sorted but thank god it worked as she was a hungry baby too!!! Gripe water is starting to be available now in Republic (at least 3 shops in Wexford have it now!) so we also gave her a spoon of that after each feed. As the last lady said it really depends on baby and as much as I hated people saying it to me it is trial, error and a whole lot of patience but please god one of the remedys will work for you. My baby is 7mths now and those trashing around hours are long gone. Best of luck.
Mrs J Posts: 387
We tried infacol and gripe water with our DD but they didn't work. The only thing that seemed to make any differnece to her was fennel tea - worked a treat! Also walking up and down the stairs with her seemed to always produce a burp! HTH
susmurf Posts: 1060
Where in Wexford is the Gripe Water - my sister is desparate for some - but has failed getting it in the North or the UK (she was told it was removed EU wide)??
delgirl Posts: 1706
sus-murf, boots in the UK sell grip-water. I bring it home for my sis-in-law all the time.
junglegirl Posts: 239
I was watching the afternoon show today and they did an item on homeopathic remedies for babies.They recommended Fennel tea.Details are on their website or in any health food shop.I heard of this before,a friend used it and swore by it.Hope this helps,good luck.
007Babs Posts: 417
hi girls, typing this with one hand as babs is in the other hand - you know how it is! i put him on the stronger food on sunday (against advice from the people in Milupa) and combined with the odd dose of infacol, i have to say it seems to be working so far. he is defo not as windy today or yesterday, thank god. maybe the lighter food was not satisfying hom and thus he had wind from hunger maybe. i dunno what's working but thanks for the replies. ye are right - all babies are different but it is helpful to see what works fir ye. will seek out fennel trea as don't like giving the infacol or any medicine too often. me poor little man - he is normally the most pleasant little pet that there has to be something really wrong before he cries god help him :lvs thanks again. x