Wine or champagne for drinks reception with canapes

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

veeinoz Posts: 146
It really is a budget question. But do you think people would mind having white wine rather than champagne with the canapes at the drinks reception?
stompy9 Posts: 227
Not at all, they'll be grateful that you're providing them with a drink! (or at least they should be)
Capetown Posts: 976
Is it sparkling white wine/ Cava or the normal stuff?
stompy9 Posts: 227
Veeinoz you're my twin!!! Where are you getting married?
anonymousbridetobe Posts: 1563
Yum a lovely well chilled white wine is so hard to beat, plus I have noticed a few people on here and a few who I know that don't like champagne. I personally just love well chilled chardonay.
I am guessing from the prices the hotel are quoting that it is regular white wine versus sparkling white wine / Cava
CaliMom Posts: 670
If you're asking which I would personally prefer I would honestly say champagne, but having said that I love white wine & would never refuse a glass... tbh I don't think the guests will even care, they'll be too happy enjoying themselves with the free wine & good chats... go with what you want on the day =)
hi stompy, geting married in crover house in cavan. finishing up work on 10th may and flying to ireland on 11th. what about you?
Roxanne Posts: 3201
If you go with wine rather than champagne, why not have a choice of red or white? Most of the people I know who drink wine prefer red, and it won't cost anymore to do 50/50 red and white. But if you can get a Cava or other cheap-ish bubbly, I think you should go for that... it probably won't cost much more than regular wine, and it's very celebratory! Don't forget you'll get more glasses out of a bottle of bubbly than a bottle of wine, so it goes further too...
as we are providing wine with the meal 60% white 40% red, i was thinking of doing the same for the drinks reception. how would it be if i just provide all guests with one glass of bubbly and after that a choice of white / red wine / minerals / tea / coffee.