Wine Query

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

tinkerbella2010 Posts: 762
Hi girls, I'm lucky enough to have no charge for corkage for our wedding so we are bringing in our own wine. Does anything know how much I should spend on a wine (dont want a very cheap one but not a very dear one either!!)
I know what you mean!! Its just i dont have a clue about wine. Would like to spend 8-10 but wasnt sure if that was even possible!
wells Posts: 91
Hi Jess2010, we're getting married in a venue that means we have to supply our own wine. We did a lot of research and found Nashs wines to be great. We got a French wine (Domaine La Colombette 2005) for about 9 euro. I think Nashs wines are based in Kildare??? can't rememeber to be honest. He send down 12 wines until we found the one we wanted.
Fi76 Posts: 517
[quote="jess2010":1li742vv]Hi girls, I'm lucky enough to have no charge for corkage for our wedding so we are bringing in our own wine. Does anything know how much I should spend on a wine (dont want a very cheap one but not a very dear one either!!)[/quote:1li742vv] I run my dad's off licence with my Fiancee, and we get quite a lot of couples coming in now looking for advice on wine for weddings. I'd suggest you go to a local off-licence which does a good range of wines and ask them to recommend a red and a white to you which would be a good all rounder (like a Chardonnay and a Cabernet Sauvignon) and take a bottle or two of each home with you and try with family or friends to get their advice. You can get a nice wine for even €5.99 a bottle (we have sold wine at this price for weddings and they have loved it), do see if the shop can give you a case discount. Its great that you don't have to pay corkage, not heard of anywhere that doesn't charge! hope that helps!
fluffiesmam Posts: 1470
hi i dunno if this helps, but i rem listening to some wine buffs on Gerry Ryan's show one morning going over wines that were decent prices, what was good and what wasn't, just did a quick check there and heres the link to one, but i am sure there was one just before christmas, i will have a look again and edit if i can find the most recent one. ok can't find a text link, but you can listen back on the show! and i had a quick look through, it was the 11th Dec 2008. Hope it helps!!
papillon Posts: 1305
a cotes du rhone (French wine) is a very well rounded choice. I'd say if you went up North you could really get great value for money!
Carlow09 Posts: 234
We are bringing our own wine in too. Hoping to get a good deal in Sainsbury's in Newry, they do some sort of deal like buy 6 bottles get 5% off. (Prob wrong with exact details but ya get the drift) Good idea to go up in advace buy a couple of reds/whites and bring them back for family or friends to taste and try and get a good middle of road one. Then keep an eye on their website as they often do deals on wines. I'm also bumping in to try get suggettions of good red/white.. friend suggested spanish rijoca like Faustino would suit all pallets, does anyone have any opinion on this?? Or a white called "Oyster Bay" was mentioned, think they do this one in Sainsbury.
Thanks a million for all the advice girls
ela28 Posts: 2552
jess blossom hill and wolf blass are two beautiful wines,both about 8 or 9 euro as far as I know hth :wv
Ficidy Posts: 1753
PM'd you jess.