Wollies getting home late.. Dinner ideas??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

excitedjuly12 Posts: 1722
I work til 5.30, get home 6 ish, I always feel its so late starting into a dinner and then by the time its ready, it could be 7 or 7.30 eating it which imo is so late... What do other working wollies working til this time or even later, do for dinner???? Also, any ideas for quick handy dinners are welcome... Hubby is a very fussy eather though! :o0
disney08 Posts: 575
I always buy a few packs of fresh ravioli when we do our shopping so we can have that for days that we are both working late. Simmer for 5 mins and add a sauce of your choice - filling and tasty. The mushroom ravioli from Super Valu is delicious.
Grotty Dotty Posts: 751
I don't work late, but I normally get my hair done every 6 weeks midweek after work. It could be 8.30 by the time I leave the salon. I used to be murder for going to the chipper or McDonalds on the way home. Last time I bought a Cully & Sully ready meal, Chicken and Herb Pie. Bit expensive if you're late every night but grand for a one off.
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
Ha! We rarely eat our dinner before 7pm or 7.30pm! If we ate at 6pm we'd consider it mad early! However, I'm all for quick dinners. How about risotto, takes about 20 minutes? Chicken or mushroom is lovely in it as is leek and bacon. All you need to do is chop up the leek and bacon and then throw in the risotto and it's all done in 20 minutes like. Pasta with a decent shop bought pesto sauce is also a ten minute dinner. Or grill/fry a steak with a shop bought Caeser salad? How about salmon fillets, they only take, 15 minutes or so in the oven? With maybe some stirfried veggies and rice in soy sauce?
Maybethisyear13 Posts: 992
I leave my house before 7am and don't get home till after 7pm every day so 6pm to be home would be bliss and early! Now we don't have kids so I can imagine your definition of early and late changes when you need to get childrens dinners on the table. SK's ideas are all ones I would have suggested. Fish and veggies are quick and easy to cook and so are stir frys and curries etc. They really only take 15 - 30 mins to cook. Pasta again is quick and easy as are salads. Why not make up some hearty dishes like shepherds pie and lasagne on a Sunday and freeze portions so they can be defrosting in the fridge during the day and then stuck in the oven to warm when you get home?
highbeam Posts: 2578
We have spaghetti bolognaise one day, only takes about 15 minutes and I make enough bolognaise so the day after we have shepards pie or lasagne. We buy a fish stir fry from the fish shop has salmon, prawns and veg and we get the instant rice from aldi. Takes max 10 minutes to do it all. Coming into winter I'd make a stew on a Sunday so its easy to reheat for Mondays dinner.
MrsMtoB Posts: 1212
I have a bit of a fussy hubby too when it comes to dinners. Every now and then I make an enormous curry and freeze about 10 portions, same with lasagne, bolgnese and shepherds pie! A quicky dinner for us would be steak with mushroom sauce and rice. Pork stroganoff, stirfry, fajitas.
Meggi Posts: 383
During winter months I often put a beef or chicken casserole in the slow cooker. Start it in the morning, leave it on low for the day and it's done when you come home. Lately I've used it for roast beef and baked ham and just cooked some veg to go with it when I get home. Can't beat steak and salad for a super fast, super tasty dinner. Most fish can be cooked within a few minutes also.
nelswife Posts: 3869
Would you make a stew, casserole, lasagne,curry (just make your rice fresh) the night before then when you get home from work just heat it up? We have a slow cooker and i sometimes throw something in when i get home from work, leave it on for a few hours before we go to bed, then the next day we just have to heat it up, deadly heandy!!
MrsMtoB Posts: 1212
I'd love a slow cooker! Can you recommend any? Or where would I even get one?