Menu

Wollies, when booking a supplier ....

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

barbaraann Posts: 1500
Hi guys, I know I'm probably sticking my neck out here, but, there's been quite a bit of activity on the site here from non registered suppliers, and I was just wondering do you ever take a look at the websites that these posts to refer to?? I have looked at quite a few over the past week - and on one or two of them I noticed that there is a) no surname - just a first one. b) no address, just an email c) no landline number, only a mobile (I know they are not always necessary but still give a bit of comfort as a back up to a mobile) d) and one didn't even have a county or region where they were based. Now obviously, these are just my observations and there are no hard and fast rules, but we all know that it only takes a matter of minutes to put up a half decent looking .com or .net site etc. I know you are all on tight budgets, and trying to get the best service for the best price, but please, be very careful when you are choosing those who will provide your service on your big day. Just a tip ladies. Enjoy your planning and stay safe while your doing it :wv
Diamond Photography Posts: 237
I have said this before. I know we are all under pressure with this economy and we want the best deal possible, but its happening on a regular basis now where brides are coming back, in tears, to see if I can do anything with their images because the photographer made a mess of their wedding images. I've done a few albums now but I know they would have saved if they booked a professional in the first place. Please wollies, be careful who you choose. All the best Fergul
MrsAH Posts: 3715
There are loads of them lurking around aren't there? Found another one this morning in F&D. Wouldn't trust any of them. It really bothers me that they aren't paying suppliers either.
MikeBurkePhotography Posts: 286
I agree so much Barbara and Fergul. In addition I think everyone would agree that this site is a great resource and can be an invaluable help both when organising your wedding and as a supplier in the wedding industry. However, it is the [b:1i4fdfnp]registered suppliers[/b:1i4fdfnp] here who fund this great resource - the unregistered suppliers are in effect stealing the advertising spend of registered suppliers here. I do think that in addition to the points made by Barbara above wollies should consider the long term bona fides of a supplier who cannot even pay for their own advertising, someone who has not compiled a business or marketing plan for the year - can you be confident that they are serious about their business in the long term.
Diamond Photography Posts: 237
I wasn't going to say anything but there is a chap in Suppliers and Vendors that is posting and something doesn't seem right either. Their mail account is a g-mail account and no landline either, only mobile! We really need this site to be moderated, after hours especially! These posters know this and will post on a Friday night knowing that their post won't be removed till Monday morning!! Fergul
clikring Posts: 18
Personally i think the name and shame approach works best you see it in the main forums all the time it will stop all these "fly bys" on a friday night !!!
Couple Photography
MrsEL10 Posts: 910
I don't like :spam: posters and would not book someone that was not a registered supplier who is posting on here - I always check websites etc. and make sure I am happy with someone before I book it No point trying to save money on some things and then not have a proper wedding album or something
Irish Wedding DJ Posts: 1436
some of them posts are just pure blarney! Ruairi Finnegan www.irishweddingdj.com
barbaraann Posts: 1500
Precisely RuairĂ­ :innocent: Anyway, hopefully it'll get people to think a bit more about who they are contacting. :wv
Powder Room Girls Posts: 23
IN THE HAIR AND MAKEUP BUSINESS WE HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR A LONG TIME. I JUST NOTICED ONE TODAY AND WHEN I CHECKED HER PROFILE SHE HAS HAD 46 POSTS OVER A TWO YEAR PERIOD AND EVERYONE OF THEM ARE ADVICE ABOUT HAIR AND BEAUTY.I MEAN EVERYONE OF THEM AND MENTIONS A SALON IN NORTH DUBLIN THAT SHE GOES TO ALL THE TIME . SHE NEVER EVEN MENTIONS HER WEDDING AND SHE IS NOT A PAYING SUPPLIER. THERE HAVE BEEN THE REALLY CHEEKY ONES AS WELL COMING ON SAYING THEY ARE A HAIRSTYLIST AND WILL CHARGE €25 PP, NOW ALARM BELLS SHOULD RING IF SOMEONE OFFERS A PRICE TOO LOW TO BE TRUE. iF ONE OF THESE PEOPLE LET YOU DOWN THEY HAVE NO REPUTATION TO THINK OF . NOT LIKE US PAYING SUPPLIERS WHO RELY ON THE WOL BRIDES TO COME ON AND SING OUR PRAISES!! THE QUESTIONS YOU NEED TO ASK ARE 1WHERE ARE THEY BASED ? GET AN ADDRESS. 2 DO THEY HAVE A WEB SITE? 3 ARE THEY INSURED? 4 HAVE THEY GOT TESTIMONIALS AND PORTFOLIO? 5 ARE THEY REGISTERED WITH THE INLAND REVENUE?