Work Hours

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

over it Posts: 2779
Does anyone here know anything about reducing your working hours? I'm thinking of working a 4 day week instead of a 5 day week. I'll be doing 7 hours less a week. Going to ask my boss this morning.
wowee Posts: 1596
One of the girls I work with does a 4 day week. Our working hours are 9 -5, and she works 8.30 - 6.00, so does the same amount of hours a week.... *)
Interesting - [img:6ldodtww]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_5.gif[/img:6ldodtww]So she didn't take a pay cut then! I work 9 - 4 M-T and 9 - 3.30 on a Friday. I was thinking wouldn't it be lovely to have Wednesday or Friday off, every week >:o)
I'd love a 4 day week but it's not an option where I work unfortunately :o( Nope, she didn't take a pay cut, so she has the best of both worlds. I'd love a Friday off every week - it'd be like having a bank holiday every week *)
Oh God how good does that sound - Can I make an appointment to see brickingit for Friday at 10.30 - eh no you cant she only work Monday to Thursday - OH HAPPY DAYS............ :hic >:o) :hic >:o) :hic >:o) Ok I need a reason for wanting to do this. I was thinking of telling my boss that I'm stressed out coming up to the wedding and I have soo much to do. She's probably going to laugh in my face :o(
Chickster Posts: 245
Hi there, The official name for what you are looking for is compressed hours, where you basically work the same number of hours a week but in 4 days instead of 5. You would still be considered a full time employee and would not take a drop in salary. You would have to spread your Friday hours over the rest of the week. Depending on your type of work you do your boss might go for it. You would have less chance say if you work in a customer queries role or sales role where your customers would have no one else available on Fridays to answer their queries but if you work in an admin role where you can get the same amount of work done from M - T with longer hours as you would if you worked M - F. Hope you don't mind this advice but I wouldn't mention stress of the wedding as a selling point. Your boss might well turn around and say that the stress of handling extra hours M – T might also be too much for you leading up the wedding or that your personal life shouldn’t impact your job. I would try and sell it as trial period till your wedding is out of the way and that they won’t notice a drop in service. If the hours you mentioned are the same for everyone else in the office you could say you would be around to answer queries / phone calls when everyone else is gone home so it would be an extended service to your customers / clients who call after hours. You could also say it would show the organisation in a more positive light offering more flexible working arrangements. Under new EU law your employer can not dismiss the idea out of hand without a good business reason for rejecting it. I think a big selling point is a trial period to the wedding that way their hands are not tied to a permanent change. Might be no harm for you either to ensure that the extra hours aren’t too much for you.
Thanks a mill for that Chickster :thnk :thnk
You're making me want to do it now too... >:o) >:o) >:o)
Trouble Posts: 117
I am so jealous Brickingit - you already work fairly short hours ! I work 9-7 most days if not later :o(
[quote:3mdldg3d]I work 9-7 most days if not later [/quote:3mdldg3d] :ooh No thank you! >:o) >:o) I know, I'm soo bold :-8