working full time

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

*bubblez* Posts: 1599
is anyone going back to work full time after they have their baby? i don't really have a choice but to go back to work for financial reasons but everyone else seems to go part time. Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat
Ducky Posts: 2506
I will be going back full time but hope to take partental leave as one day a week for a while. No way could we afford for me to go part-time at the moment.
Mrs Lucy06 Posts: 929
I will also be going back to work full time, unfortunately were not in the position to live just off my hubby's wages so will be full time for me!! Lucy :o)ll
Baby cakes Posts: 1237
I have just returned to work since having my baby, am doing a four day week now taking friday as my parental leave day. It works out great the weekedn seems much longer now
andypandy28 Posts: 553
Me too, cant really afford it if we want to move house, which we do, also im a manager and part times just wouldnt work.
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
For those going back full time, do you mind me asking do you pay much in child care? Or do you get family to look after them for a couple of days??
flapper Posts: 93
I'll also have to go back to work full time as I couldn't afford to live on hubby's wages. Would love to work a 4 day week. Will mention it to work and see what they say. I was reading up on the cost of creches and I knew they were expensive but I can't believe just how much. I came across community and private creches, with private creches obviously being a lot more expensive. Have any of you heard of community creches and would you recommend them?
Baby cakes Posts: 1237
My mam minds my two girls one is 9 the other is 9 months. I drop them off at 8.15am She drops 9 yr old to school at 8.40am and collects her at 2.30pm but most days she has extra ciricular stuff, yoga, hip hop dancing violin so she only has to collect her 2 days from school. The baby she has full time. I pay her €450 pm, I know I know Im very lucky and beleive me I do know that, If i had them in creche it would be god knows. As far as I know standard creche fees full time is about 800 pm. We are bringing her on hols this yr to Florida with us and she gets nice gifts during the yr too. Flights to Portugal etc, (she goes about 5 times a yr for weekends etc).
bree Posts: 1880
I will be going back full-time & DH will be staying at home !!! i only work 2nights one week & 3nights the next & get the same money as DH ( He hates his job - i love mine ) ..i get to sleep at work too so means we get to spend far more time as a family , whereas if he was working & i was at home would mean he be gone 7am-7pm. as for childcare ..neither of us would be keen , i just really appreciated my up-bringing as did DH & would like to give our children as close to same as possible but guess we wil have to wait & see how things fo financaly. dont like creche idea & as for in-house childminder, to be honest im not sure id trust anyone enough !!
DublinGal Posts: 151
I would love to stay at home but there is no way. I will have to work at least for a couple of years, we just can't afford to live off 1 wage. Half my wages will go on creche fees also which is a pain, but what can you do. Do you know if parental leave can be taken 1 day a week?