Menu

worried about after c-section

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

23leanne Posts: 761
Hi, I was googling about c-sections earlier this evening about what people were able to do. I know that everyone is different and heals in their own way but I was quite worried when I read that some people were asking was it safe to go up/down stairs. I hadn't really thought about this. I live in a 2 story - I don't plan to be running up and down them and also planned to get a changing table for downstairs to have everything at hand but bed upstairs as well as bathroom. Just wondering how others have managed the stairs . Plus Im sure there are some people who only have a bathroon upstairs.
littlemisshopeful Posts: 6101
Stairs isn't a problem. I had a fair amount of pain afterwards and am still tender even now but I could even do the stairs while still in hospital. The main thing is no driving, vacuuming, heavy lifting etc for a good 4-6 weeks. watch out because you might feel fine at the time doing it but the pain catches up with you after a few hours. Best of luck for the birth.
Terri1 Posts: 1158
The stairs are fine. Just take it slowly (you'll probably go everywhere slowly for a few days anyway!!). Don't lift anything apart from baby. Don't hang out clothes. Don't bend over bath to bath baby...i bathed in the sink. I got a changing unit so I wouldn't be bent over on the bed to change. Get Arnica tablets and take EVERY painkiller the hospital hands out...ring your bell and ask for it if it's the time (i set the alarm on my phone for it!!).
Sweetmum Posts: 2146
Although I know every one is different, I found the stairs fine after my section What I found hard is that I kept forgetting to take it easy and would jump out of bed whenever I heard dd crying and that would hurt for a few weeks but if you get up slowly there's no bother Don't worry you will be fine :wv
black pearl Posts: 3513
good luck with the birth, i had no issues at all, six days after the section it was like i hadnt had it im very lucky i know but stairs you will find no probs, sometimes the internet can be worrying with all the crap it tells you x :thnk
ontheway Posts: 432
[quote="Sweetmum":19gdrxe8]Although I know every one is different, I found the stairs fine after my section What I found hard is that [b:19gdrxe8]I kept forgetting to take it easy[/b:19gdrxe8] and would jump out of bed whenever I heard dd crying and that would hurt for a few weeks but if you get up slowly there's no bother Don't worry you will be fine :wv[/quote:19gdrxe8] I was like this also, but purposely didnt do bending/lifting etc cos I didnt want to hamper my recovery. I felt ok coming home from hosp and a week after the birth I stopped taking painkillers, but took everything they gave me in hosp. I took arnica also. Also once I got home I went for a short stroll everyday and think it really helped my recovery Dont worry bout the stairs as the others said you will prob be on a slow gear for a few days anyways so you will be taking it handy.
wollysocks Posts: 1773
[quote="Terri1":2m08qql8]The stairs are fine. Just take it slowly (you'll probably go everywhere slowly for a few days anyway!!). Don't lift anything apart from baby. Don't hang out clothes. Don't bend over bath to bath baby...i bathed in the sink. I got a changing unit so I wouldn't be bent over on the bed to change. Get Arnica tablets and take EVERY painkiller the hospital hands out...ring your bell and ask for it if it's the time (i set the alarm on my phone for it!!).[/quote:2m08qql8] I would second all of this-you will just move more slowly for a while...stairs are fine-...at times I thought I'd never be able to run about again but gradually you do get better and back to normal...it's good to move about I think if I remember. I would definitely be sure to get the painkillers in the hospital- as Terri said- ask for it- don't expect the nurses to come round with them-sometimes they will but 2 days after my c-section I was feeling fine after the morning painkillers and neglected to ask for the next lot of painkillers- I had so much pain then...so don't be a hero- it's major surgery- take all the painkillers they'll give you...and make sure you have a prescription for painkillers when you're leaving the hospital.....they gave me for 5 days and I was thinking I will need way more than that! However, I actually didn't even need to take them for the 5 days as the pain had gone.... So you will be fine- just take as much help as you can and do as little as you can get away with while you are recovering..another thing I found was I put all friends off visiting-even close friends- and only had immediate family- people who texted to say they were calling over, I just texted back and said I wasn't up to visitors yet ...because I was shuffling round the house in pjs and getting familiar with breast-feeding too- I just found it was enough without making tea and entertaining people when I was feeling a bit shell-shocked... Best of luck!
Luka Posts: 1904
Hi Leanne. The stairs were no problem. I found the first 3 days in the hospital after the section the worst, I couldn't straighten myself up properly. BUt by day 5 going home, I was pretty much grand. I got a perscription on leaving & was taking the tablets for 6 weeks. If I forgot a tablet, I would get pain! BUt overall I must say I was fine after it, not being able to drive was the hardest thing, but I was lucky my GP said I was ok to drive (live in the country) after 3 weeks once he checked me & my car ins co were fine with that then. I know googling things can be addictive, I spent ages googling all the reasons why my son was transverse (the reason why I had to have a section), & sure he was perfect, only giving myself sleepless nights I was, apart from not being able to sleep with the bump anyway! I'm sure you'll be fine, take it easy & try to get others to help after the section :)
Mumslove Posts: 528
I think it can depend on your recovery. I definetly noticed I couldnt climb the stairs properly as my recovery was quite bad due to complications but that is just an example of extreme case. Anyone I know that has had a section never had any issues with the stairs or anything else so more than likely you will be the same. Your definetly slower but as some have said, some people wouldnt even feel like they've been through surgery as they just feel the same :wv
steen2009 Posts: 464
What I found hard was our sofa it is really low, so DH brought down the rocking chair from the nursery and I had that in the sitting room for the first 6 weeks and I set up a little station with everything we would need and it was grand didnt go back up stairs until the evening. Iike the other girls didnt have a hassle with the stairs just took it slow.