Menu

would a glass of shandy be bad?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ginger nut Posts: 5989
for the last few days i've been really craving cold beer (must be the sunny weather) and the other night i succumbed and had a sip of my husband's shandy. it was delicious. Would it hurt to have a glass of shandy made with lots of lemonade? I'm parched and nothing seems to be taking away the thirst.
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
I dont think so, how far along are you?
ginger nut Posts: 5989
7 weeks.
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
If i were you i would have ONE made with a good bit of lemonade i doubt it will do any harm, and sure its better if Mammy is relaxed. O-O
Sleep Monster Posts: 2829
I dunno.. why don't you try having a non-alcoholic beer. There are some really nice ones on the market now!
*seahorse Posts: 1122
I did in both pregnancies.
Mrs March Posts: 175
Hi there, I too fancied beer and wine in the early weeks! Bizarre, I could barely look at food and yet was dying for a drink! I didn't give in to it to be honest. I know I would feel pretty bad about it now. I am open to maybe having a drink when I'm further along, maybe after 6 months, but I think 7 weeks is a bit early. Maybe as suggested you could use n/a beer and lemonade? Maybe I'm overly cautious but I didn't want to regret anything. I felt bad enough about being tipsy when I was 4 weeks pregnant and didn't know.
Laighleis Posts: 105
Mothers-to-be told not to drink at all as official advice is revised By DANIEL MARTIN - More by this author » Last updated at 11:44am on 19th March 2007 In a major health policy shift women are to be told no alcohol at all during pregnancy or while they are trying to become pregnant Most popular stories 1. Uproar as hospital orders re-use of filthy bed linen to cut costs 2. You only live twice...unless you're Roger Moore 3. Could eating oily fish increase the risk of diabetes? 4. A wonder drug beat my teenage arthritis 5. Are yoghurts really such a healthy choice? More detailed results » Email newsletter Have your sayShould doctors be allowed to let some severely brain damaged patients die? Yes No More polls » Boards & chatMy daughter is suffering from depression. What can I do? Join the debate » Women are to be told not to drink alcohol at all during pregnancy in a major shift in Government policy. Until now, official advice has been that it is safe for expectant mothers to drink up to four units - around two glasses of wine - per week. But guidance to be issued in the next few weeks will warn that women should not drink at all while pregnant - or even if they are trying for a baby. • EU vows to curb binge-drinking culture • Why has diabetes soared in children? The change of heart has been prompted by growing evidence of the harm alcohol does to unborn children, and increasing binge-drinking among young women. Experts say around one in 100 babies born in the UK are affected by their mother's drinking - suffering from hyperactivity and learning disabilities at one end of the spectrum and brain damage and deafness in the worst cases. In another landmark move, ministers are to tell manufacturers of alcoholic drinks to put cigarette-style warnings on bottles to warn of the dangers of drinking while pregnant. There was concern yesterday that the new advice would cause confusion among pregnant women, and that many mothers would be consumed by guilt - even though they had faithfully followed NHS advice. The effects of alcohol on children can not become apparent for several years. A spokeswoman for the National Childbirth Trust said: "In the end it is up to mothers to decide how much they drink. It can be a very difficult for mothers, especially if they did not know they were pregnant and had been drinking. "We don't want mothers to feel dreadful if they have been drinking during pregnancy. The risk is quite low, so there is no point torturing yourself about it. "Nevertheless, there is growing evidence that even low levels of alcohol can have an effect." Two-thirds of expectant mothers admit to drinking during pregnancy, and one in 20 says they regularly-exceed the Government's present limit. But there is a growing body of evidence that even very small amounts of alcohol could result in foetal alcohol syndrome, which causes problems including low birth weight, short stature, flattened features, heart and kidney abnormalities, deafness and brain damage leading to poor hand-to-eye co-ordination and behavioural difficulties. It affects one in 1,000 babies and is the leading cause of mental retardation in the Western world. A milder form of the condition, called Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder, has also come to light. It causes attention deficit disorder, hyperactivity and poor coordination. American research has shown that one in 100 unborn babies contract the disorder. This would mean that more than 7,000 of the 715,000 children born in the UK each year could be harmed by drink. Complete abstinence is already advised for expectant mothers in the U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand and France. The exact wording on British drinks labels has not be finalised. They will be voluntary at first but if the drinks industry ignores them, ministers have warned they will consider legislating. A spokesman for the British Beer and Pub Association said: "We are working constructively with the Government on this.
mad woman Posts: 22106
I craved budweiser on my 1st, I dont even like the stuff!! I HATE it in fact, used to sip on a bottle. on my 2nd I drank shandy with loads of lemonade, personally I think its when people who get stupidly drunk on shorts and stuff. have it ginger, your pregnant not sick.
ros Posts: 749
ginger nut of course it wouldn't be bad. Put plenty of lemonade and ice in it! Just the one for your first trimester. My sister in law was prescribed TWO PINTS OF GUINNESS a day from her doctor during her first trimester. Good luck and enjoy that shandy!!