Would Like to ring their neck! - bit long - soz

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Lady Posts: 176
So this happened at the weekend, but the more I think about it the more annoyed I get. We were down in Wexford on Saturday at a Friends party and when we came back up on Sunday we noticed that our alarm had gone off the saturday night after 8pm... which is very unusual... in the whole time we have lived in the house its only ever done off by itself once (and we are there nearly 3 years), we checked the house and all seem fine so thought nothing of it. On the Sunday night we happened to be out for about 2 hours collecting my little bro who was coming to stay for a few days and when we returned again we noticed the blue flashing light on outside, but when we got to the door, my blood began to boil... a neighbour - i don't know who, had put a yellow sticky on our door saying FIX YOUR ALARM! I just saw red!! what was worse - they didn't sign it! I just thought my god its not like we diberately set the alarm off to annoy people, nor does it ring for longer then 20 mins and once set off it does not chim again until its been reset... both times it happened before 8pm so it wasn't like it was keeping anyone/ kids up... i just thought how rude and inconsider!! I would like to think we are nice, approachable neighbours and would not of minded anyone to come over and mention it to us!! Is it just me or are people just SO RUDE!! I should probably mention that on closer inspection of our kitchen door it looks like someone was trying to temper with it... which has made me even more annoyed that my neighbours were SO CONCERNED!!
gone elsewhere Posts: 1780
If the alarm was only going off for 20 minutes the note is a bit of an over-reaction alright. Then again if I was asleep in my bed and next door's alarm started at 4am I would be mightily pissed off. To be honest I don't know why anybody bothers setting their alarms when they are out, especially for the night, because I have never known anyone to call the gardai when a house alarm goes off. You hear so many of them now it's more an irritation than a warning. Maybe call into your immediate neighbours and tell them you think someone was tampering with your door and to be aware of potential burglars in the area.
knitter Posts: 183
I don't think there is anyone who doesn't find alarms going off totally head-wrecking. Maybe they felt that if it had gone off twice in a weekend that there is something wrong with it?
TokenMale Posts: 6845
Any note left and not signed is rude, if you ask me. I would definitely print up flyers saying your door was tampered with and asking neighbours to be vigilant, photocopy it, and drop it into surrounding houses. Hopefully whoever left the note will feel bad, and more to the point, hopefully your neighbours will pay more attention to your alarm next time.
cfc Posts: 166
It is annoying - and I think the thing that's annoying you is that you can't have recourse with them. That is, you can't go to them and apologise (which if you are good approachable neighbours, you'll want to do) and also you can't tell them that it won't happen again and it isn't broken. I would be annoyed with the note, but at the same time, you have to understand their feelings on the matter.
Yoda Posts: 3340
I think that was unfair, we all hate alarms but I know that if any of my neighbours's alarm did go off, my first thought would be to check it out not to leave an anon note :wv
Lady Posts: 176
Jez of course I would pop it and say sorry for the annoyance!! I totally agree with alarms going off repeatedly very annoying! I spend every saturday morning listening to them!! I just think that people have lost the whole neighbourhoodly factor - if you know what I mean.... some of mine wouldn't even look at you .... and our next door neighbours have terrible trouble with Kids egging their house... when they brought it up with the parents they were told that they have obviously done something to p*ss the kids off and they should apologise!! - unreal eh!! I think ill have a discreet word with a few when im out walking to see if it yields anything.
TokenMale Posts: 6845
[quote="Lady":2hr6rox1]our next door neighbours have terrible trouble with Kids egging their house... when they brought it up with the parents they were told that they have obviously done something to p*ss the kids off and they should apologise!! - unreal eh!! [/quote:2hr6rox1] {Token with head in hands, wondering what the hell happened to the world he knew only a few short years ago.}
Yoda Posts: 3340
[quote="Lady":3gefwmhe]Jez of course I would pop it and say sorry for the annoyance!! I totally agree with alarms going off repeatedly very annoying! I spend every saturday morning listening to them!! I just think that people have lost the whole neighbourhoodly factor - if you know what I mean.... some of mine wouldn't even look at you .... and our next door neighbours have terrible trouble with [b:3gefwmhe]Kids egging their house[/b:3gefwmhe]... when they brought it up with the parents they were told that they have obviously done something to p*ss the kids off and they should apologise!! - unreal eh!! I think ill have a discreet word with a few when im out walking to see if it yields anything.[/quote:3gefwmhe] I would kill the little f*ckers >:o(
Mama2 Posts: 1230
Neighbours who'd have them. We got a kitten about 6 months ago and I can't let him out without the neighbours complaining that he's sitting on their window sills! Not to mind the fact that I don't say a word about their dogs keepiing me up all night barking.