Would you be a surrogate?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mrs W Posts: 2923
I'm not sure if it should be in here or off topic and I really don't want to offend anyone but with the coronation street story line and now I'm watching OBEM USA and a surrogate is having a baby for a couple trying 17 years. I think it would be the nicest thing you could ever do for someone but could be a terribly hard thing to do. There can be madly varying opinions on organ donation, would this be similar?
reine Posts: 1771
No way. There has to be some sort of reward for the heartburn, leg cramps and backache which persist in keeping me awake at night! Seriously though, no, I couldn't. I'd find it far too difficult to part with the baby afterwards.
wowza Posts: 556
Yes. But there are only three people I would do it for.
gopro Posts: 1801
no I couldn't I think the current story on Corrie is highlighting the difficulty well
lilytiger Posts: 536
I think I would, but I'd only do it for one person realistically. I couldn't do it for a random stranger. As you said yourself, I think its a wonderful thing to do for someone but it would definitely take a lot of counselling and preparation to get my head around the fact that it wouldn't be my baby but I'd like to think I could get there if it was ever something that might come about. Not sure about the laws on it here though, I think I recall a couple on Ray Darcy having to stop the process for legal reasons as the law was not set up to make them the named parents on the birth cert, think they might have had to adopt the baby after it was born or something?
ttc2012 Posts: 661
I have been watching Corrie every day asking "how?" as in How do people do it, fair play, i admire them. I couldnt. I love being pregnant and the bump and the bond with baby, i wouldnt be able to part at the end
Pipsey Posts: 144
No I couldn't do it. But I do really admire, people, who do, do it.
Sassypants Posts: 4461
Yes but there's only 2 people I'd do it for. I've actually offered the option to someone recently.
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I know I couldn't do it. I don't enjoy pregnancy and I'm only going through it so we can have our baby in our arms. Before I had children I thought I might consider it, but now I know I wouldn't be able to, no matter who it was.
fluffybaby Posts: 174
When my sister was suffering from fertility issues I offered to be her surrogate but thankfully for her she managed to carry her own baby.