Would you bother?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Time For A Change Posts: 6885
Yesterday I posted a thread about making a baby blanket for my sisters first baby - that whole idea has now gone down the swaney! :o( For some reason this morning, a conversation I had with my sister popped into my head. When she rang to tell me she was pregnant, for some reason I made some sort of comment about embroidering something - can't remember what, but it was said in a jokey manner. I remember now, her saying "Ugh no, I hate embroidery, it's so tacky" I said it to Mum and she thinks I should still go ahead with it, that it would be a great "project" for me to do. I said "what's the point in me making it, when she hates embroidery. I'd be wasting my time, energy and money on it" I told her that one year, MIL gave us a really hideously tacky (hubby said that) present from her holidays in Turkey, and it's never seen the light of day in our house. As we can't stand that kind of stuff, we don't have it displayed in the house (we'd be mortified), so if my sister doesn't like embroidery, surely she wouldn't use it. Would you bother going ahead with it? I was really looking forward to doing it too
YoMammaSo Posts: 3256
If i had gotten something handmade specially for my little man from a family member it would be cherished! Only thing is what would you put on it, its not like you'd know its name or anything ? What had you in mind? We got two blankets (shop bought) with ds name on it and i love them,i love putting them in his cot etc. .
Sassypants Posts: 4461
Do it anyway. You could always keep it for your little niece/nephew for when they're older. If you say to her "I put loads of work and love into this", she'll probably think differently. I wouldn't really be into stuff like that, but personalised and loved gifts like that make me well up!
betty draper Posts: 728
i probably wouldn't, that said i'm making jewellery for loads of people for christmas and i don't care if they like it - obv not my close friends.
Urban Fairy Posts: 3987
It sounds lovely and its something I'd love for myself (or for my DD I should say), but if she's actually said out straight in reply to your first comment of embroidering something, that she hates that sort of stuff, then I 100% wouldnt do it.
highbeam Posts: 2578
I probably wouldnt bother. Would save my efforts for a friend or another sibling who would appreciate it more when they have kids. Although comparing a lovely embroidered baby blanket to something her mother in law picked up in a Turkish market probably isnt fair and she might actually love it, maybe she has a different picture in her head of what it would be like. I would love getting something like that.
Time For A Change Posts: 6885
I was just going to either embroider/applique pictures like a babys bottle, a teddy bear, a duck etc, those kind of neutral baby pictures. I would've done about 9-12 pictures, depending on the size of the blanket and what size I was going to do the pictures. Years ago, friends of my boyfriend at the time, had thier first child. We gave them a present, but I thought I'd do something extra for them, as I really liked them. I bought a cross-stitch pattern of a teddybear leaning on a bottle, or something like that, and I embroidered it and framed it for them. I gave them the present, they said it was lovely - and then my boyfriend told them that I had made it myself. They were stunned, and were going over it, saying how beautiful it was and that was more precious because I had gone to the trouble of making it for them. The Mum said it was sitting on top of the childs dressing table, so everyone could see it.
Urban Fairy Posts: 3987
Time For a Change, your very talented (and thoughtful) for being able to do something like this. An aunt of mine embroiderd (sp) a personalised blankett for 3 of the babys born in my family in the past 5 years and I was sort of looking forward to getting one for my DD and when she was born this aunt gave a different present, which was welcomed and appreciated but I was (and I'd never openly say this to anyone) disappointed she didnt do the blankett, very similar to what you described.
highbeam Posts: 2578
[quote="Time For A Change":10u4z80n] I bought a cross-stitch pattern of a teddybear leaning on a bottle, or something like that, and I embroidered it and framed it for them. I gave them the present, they said it was lovely - and then my boyfriend told them that I had made it myself. They were stunned, and were going over it, saying how beautiful it was and that was more precious because I had gone to the trouble of making it for them. The Mum said it was sitting on top of the childs dressing table, so everyone could see it.[/quote:10u4z80n] Would your sister prefer something like this to a blanket? I know my friend paid to get one done. It was a winnie the pooh scene, quite neutral colours and it had the babies date of birth, weight, height & name embroidered on it and framed. Its hanging up in her sons room and its lovely.
Diamondz Posts: 2208
You could give it to me instead - I would LOVE it >:o) Maybe broach the topic with her again and really sound her out - it would be such a waste to go to all that effort for her to justt throw it in a cupboard!!