Would you flly for 4 hours at 26 wks?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Septbride Posts: 380
Hi Girls, My hubbie & I want to go on holiday (well me mostly!!) Anyways I wanted to go somewhere 4* or 5* - last chance holiday and all that !!! So i was thinking of Madeira, hubbie went there about 10 yrs ago and still talks about how beautiful it was etc. so thought it would be nice, but we were under the impression it was only at 2.5 hr flight like algarve etc. but the travel agent says 4 hrs - now i am a little concerned about flying for that long !! I know I am probably over reacting but as always i am seeking the advice from all you girls in the know!!! thanks
shoegal Posts: 323
Yes i would. Most airlines let you fly up to 28 weeks no problem. Just get flight socks, drink loads of water etc. I'm 27.5 weeks now and still feel fine.
charli Posts: 5994
i went to Lanzarote *4.5hrs flight and i was 22weeks going 24 coming home and it was fine like the poster says up to 28 weeks my friend came home from San Fran (10 hour flight) at 28 weeks and back at 32 weeks - she was fine, GP had given her a letter as it was a 4 week stay
Ducky Posts: 2506
Once you feel fine, BP is OK and doc is happy, I would deffo go!
kerbs Posts: 75
hey - I didnt realise that 28 weeks was the cut-off? I am planning on a trip to Brussels at 29 weeks and to London at 31 weeks - they are both very short flights- do you think I would need a letter? Is it safe? Feel fine by the way- no complications - am just trying to get in a few weekends away before the baby's arrival!!
charlie crown Posts: 377
Airlines differ on the cut off point Ryanairs cutoff is 36 weeks
Septbride Posts: 380
thanks for replys girls - much appreciated - being a first timer i have no idea. I think straight away after Christmas I will book it!! :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll Kerbs this is what AerLingus says about their flying rules!! Hope that helps. Once again girls thanks for advice!! [color=darkblue:2mqeav7v]Pregnant/Expectant Mothers Between Ireland and the UK You may travel up to week 32 of pregnancy with your doctor's permission. Between weeks 32-36 your doctor must complete an Expectant Mother Travel Advice Form. Aer Lingus will not carry any passengers over 36 weeks for any part of their journey, outbound or return. The Expectant Mother Travel Advice Form is available for printing from the Need Help? main menu. All Other Routes You may travel up to week 28 of pregnancy with your doctor's permission. Between weeks 28-33 your doctor must complete an Expectant Mother Travel Advice Form. Aer Lingus will not carry any passengers over 34 weeks for any part of their journey, outbound or return. Ireland, UK and Continental Europe originating passengers will need to fill out the Expectant Mother Travel Advice Form signed by their doctor and send it by fax to 00 353 1 886 6868. US originating passengers please call 1800 IRISH AIR (474 7424). The Expectant Mother Travel Advice Form is available for printing from the Need Help? main menu. s about flying[/color:2mqeav7v]
ros Posts: 749
Hiya, We went to Turkey (Istsanbul) when I was 30 weeks and I just lied about my due date. It was no problem. I said I was 24 (cut-off for that airline was 25 weeks) weeks and they kinda looked a bit funny but then it was fine. They asked me to write down my due date and sign it before I got on the plane and so I did. It's absolutely not a problem once you feel fine and your BP is good and all that. Go and enjoy what will probably be your last holiday alone for a long time!!!
bree Posts: 1880
im v.green & hardly gave this taught!! im flying to rome thur & will be 28wks .. think i need to get my Doc to fill out that form? ah .. i have the doc convinced in a week behind anyway ( for maternity benifit ) so he will just say in letter im 27wks so should be ok that way..
mamabee Posts: 4
I was living in the U.S. (North West coast) and had to fly back home to Ireland when I was 27 weeks pregnant with twins - long flights!! Important thing is to have a check-up with your OBGyn before you leave - get the "all-clear". Bring a large bottle of water with you, and take lots of walks on the plane. Ask the air hostess for extra pillows - they are normally very obliging.