Would you fly during first trimester?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

excitedfor2010 Posts: 336
HI girls myself and dh are thinking of going away for a few days but im not sure whether or not its safe for me to fly. iv looked it up but its hard to know what to do, it would only be a 2 hour flight but if there were any risks id rather not. have any of ye flew during first 3 months? thanks again :thnk
marriedLife Posts: 1881
I haven't flown yet - but I have read up on this because booked a holiday in Jan and we where trying when we booked it so wanted to ensure if I got pregnant I would be able to fly. Apparently the only concern is if you have a history of miscarriages they do not advise it - otherwise they say it is pretty safe - if I had being pregnant in Jan I would defo still have gone on my holiday which was a long haul flight. I have a short trip booked for when I am 17 weeks which I will be going on.
curliwurli Posts: 3369
i flew to new york and then onto vegas and back again when i was 9/10 weeks and although i was up and down the loo the whole time and felt a bit sick when landing other than that it was grand - i was just very tired after it.
twinpeaks2 Posts: 77
I asked my consultant last week about this. I actually flew before I knew I was pregnant and have a trip at 10 weeks. We asked if we should make alternative arrangements, eg ferry, but she said it was fine for me to fly. I have had mc before. Consultant advised that there is no realy concern about it being dangerous, it is only if something happened that you wouldn't be able to access medical help. However a short flight is fine. She said it would be worse on ferry as you'd be stuck for hours at sea.
rosiemama Posts: 3363
yes its fine to fly, i had lots of short flights for work in trimester 1 and 2, and also flew to New York when I was 16 weeks. the only thing was i was so uncomfortable on the longer flights - loads of up and down to the loo, couldn't get comfortable in my seat etc. most airlines won't let you fly in the third trimester but this is more due to the risk of you going into labour and they do sometimes make allowances as a friend of mine lived abroad but came home to have her baby here and she was about 31 weeks then. she wouldn't advise it though!
happymammy09 Posts: 318
I flew to London at 12 weeks and was grand going over but coming back was awful. We got turbulence. I had cramps in my legs and was getting sick. The air hostess wouldn't let me stand up for the cramp cause the seatbelt light was on and to top it all over Sharon NiB who does the 6 o'clock nesw was opposite me looking fab! It all really depends on how your pregnancy is going and how you feel yourself!
galway07 Posts: 660
Flew to South Afica and back. Didn`t know going out that I was pregnant . Knew when I was flying home! Was a bit nervous flying back (1st pregnancy) , but couldn`t stay over there for the 9 months! Everthing was fine .
maman Posts: 297
Hi girls, I flew up to around 30 weeks, managed to wiggle my way out of it after that. I work in the aeronautical industry and the problem with flying was to do with cabin pressure years ago. Things have changed since and its perfectly safe to fly now. The only problems you might have are the ones mentioned above, cramped seating, regular trips to the loo, etc. HTH.
excitedfor2010 Posts: 336
thanks a million girls :lvs
WorldsGreatestMum Posts: 249
Personally, I wouldn't if it was only for a holiday. A lack of scientific evidence showing harm to the foetus can mean a lack of relevant research rather than a proof of safety.