Would you go on holidays??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

babs76 Posts: 1000
Hi girls, I’m 13 weeks 4 days today and my birthday is coming up next week so my DH has decided to try and book us a holiday to Portugal for Sept. Obviously I would love to go but this whole Swine Flu thing is worrying me – I know people are saying that it’s very easy to pick it up on a plane (as you are in such close proximity with people and anyone of them could have it) not to mind the higher chances of picking it up while away on holiday with lots of other tourists I’m torn between wanting to go and not wanting to increase my chances of catching it Would any of you go??? Or would you just not take the risk, your opinions would be great
Toblerone Posts: 2698
Yes I would go. You have as much chance picking it up here as in a tourist resort. And there was research done recently and that whole idea of picking up colds etc on planes was not substantiated. Bring your antibacterial hand gel with you and just be extra cautious about handwashing and touching your face/eyes/mouth etc. I'd go and enjoy as it may well be the last time for a while that you get away with your DH. Get some warmth into your bones and enjoy.
BumpityBump Posts: 80
Agree with Toblerone just make sure you have your anti-bacterial hand gel with you!
Babystar Posts: 195
I'd go. We're off to France next week and I can't wait!
Duffers Posts: 1841
Go Go Go!!!!! We're off in 2 weeks, cant wait!!! :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll
blondiechick Posts: 1641
I agree with the girls....go on the holiday!!!! I was away in July for 2 weeks on holiday and flew for 4 hours each way. I am just back from the UK from a wedding over the weekend, again I flew. As long as you bring your antibacterial gel and constantly sanitize your hands and be vigilent about touching your nose, eyes and mouth, you should be ok. Sit at the back of the plane as they say only people within 2 rows of you are contagious to you...so sitting at the back (or front!) halves the risk as you have no seats either behind you or on front of you. I am so scared of swine flu as I am pregnant and have underlying serious chest problems so I understand your concern but it wouldn't put me off flying. Just be vigilent and use your antibacterial hand gel religiously and enjoy your trip!!
blondiechick Posts: 1641
Ups...double post!! :-8
babs76 Posts: 1000
Thanks girls for all your advice. We’re thinking of heading to Portugal but are a bit clueless as to where to go and where to stay etc – I’ve just put up a separate post asking anyone on advice of where to go etc so if anyone of you have been, if you could reply back, that would be fantastic I really need a holiday 