would you go to doctor - please advice needed on bad cold!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Daff Posts: 11644
Hi Girls. I NEVER go to the doctor when I'm sick, usually just keep the head down and get on with it - but obviously now I'm pregnant I'm a bit more cautious - but to be honest money is pretty tight so don't wnat to go at the drop of a hat. I started getting a sore throat sunday week ago. It slowly got worse last week and I was realy run down. I rested totally but it still got worse. Friday it turned into a head cold, and my sunuses are all blocked (bad history with sinuses) Over the weekend it got worse and my head's constantly blocked, feel crap etc. Then yesterday I went to work as usual but took my temperature. It started to slowly climb so I came home at lunch to rest and took paracetamol to get it down (which killed me to leave work as it's month end and I know they're frowning on me being out. Last year I'd laringitis and managed to get through month end and then had to take a week off ot recover!) So last night i kept waking during the night with a dry cough, and no amount of water could get rid of the itchy feeling on my thorat. So now I have that, blocked sinuses and feel crap, but all i can take it hot water and lemon, vicks vaporub and panadol for the temp (which has gone down now thankfully). Just wondering if there's any point in going to the doctor? would he be able to give me anything for it, I'm worried about an infection in the sinuse, or the laringitis returning. Also, if i don' t go to him I'll probably have to go back to work tomorrow - which I want to as if i get sick again in this pregnancy (which probably will with winter coming) they'll go mad - i know they can't say anything, but they'll frown upon it! please help!!!
Toblerone Posts: 2698
Ah you poor thing. If you think you may have a sinus infection def go to the doctor. While you can plod on through it (i did this once as thought I had a tooth ache rather than sinus infection :-8 ) it will only make you feel worse and it may be better just to go now and save yourself the pain. You can try Sinurinse or Sterimar which are saline nasal sprays and can help ease sinus problems. They are safe to use during pregnancy. Go with sterimar first as it's cheaper (about €9). I know it's easy for me to say but you really have to think of yourself and your baby rather than work. Who cares if they will frown on you being absent - you are sick. If you go to doctor see if they will give a cert for the day/time and just rest up. You need to look after yourself as no-one else will. Please take care.
Elegance Posts: 2848
hi daffodil bride - me personally i'd go to your gp. especially that you have a high temperature. i always think its better be safe than sorry in pregnancy. you might be lucky and not get charged if you are combined care. i know some gps are strict and do charge for non-antenatel appointments - but a lot of them - mine included, just don't charge once you are under the combined care system at all....... hope you feel better soon.
THanks Girls. Just rang and if i run now I can still make morning surgery. DH agrees with you all and think's i'm mad not to go! just needed the extra reassurance. Thanks again :thnk
Wild Child Posts: 1694
I totally agree with Elegance if you temp is high go to the doctor they might be able to give you something for the infection as well but make sure you keep a close eye on the temp and let us know how you get on....also I know what its like I had a job like that before and its hard to ignore them frowning but do try to ignore it and stay at home if you need to stay at home to get better
vanilla icecream Posts: 2125
hi daffodil bride, I would of probably ignored it before but now that I am pg I would def go to my gp. I know its hard with work but they will know you have been sick a while and I know its hard but dont mind them. hope your feeling better soon
blondiechick Posts: 1641
Hi daffodil bride, I am not trying to alarm you but you need to ring your gp asap. A common cold usually doesn't have a temperature as a side effect. So I would definately give the gp a call incase it's not a cold.
Nadie Posts: 1111
Daffodil Bride, I know you are off to the doc now and rightly so, just want to say don't mind month end, seriously - if it was another pregnant lady in the office taking off would you think badly of her? Even if not pregnant, people can't time being sick around month end and everyone else will just have to pull together and cover, not the end of the world for anyone! Mind yourself and I hope you're feeling better soon
thanks so much for all your support girls, I'm so glad I went as I've a respiratory tract infection and got medicine for it - Clonamox - which I'm just about to google but both the doctor and pharmacist reassure me it's 100% safe! :-8 The doctor didn't even take my temp - which i thought was a bit weird. he wasn't my usual one, a locum, as mine was off, but he was lovely and very reassuring. Bit of a shame as i know mine would have given me the full one over with the baby and all, he's just so lovely. Doctor's first question to me was asking if it was a planned pregnancy - thought that was very weird! I just said 'put it this way, I'm 18 weeks married and 17 weeks pregnant!' :o0 Thanks again girls :thnk
Wild Child Posts: 1694
Thats great that you got seen to and have got some medicine to take and hopefully it will clear up very soon! Just keep an eye on your temp and if its still up on Thursday ring the Coombe take care of yourself and get loads of rest :lvs