Would you have a homebirth

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sally Posts: 1140
Im toying with the option of homebirth, this is my second baby and went with community midwife scheme on no1 and am booked in for same this time. They provide a homebirth service and I know two ladies who have availed of it and found it great. Last birth I coped fine with just gas and air and tens machine so I dont think ill need any extra pain relief this time but there were complications at the end and had to have a vacumn delivery as cord was around babys neck and she wasnt coming down. It was pretty scary but to be honest if that was a homebirth I would have been ok as the time it took for the doctor to come would be the same as the time it would take me to be transferred to hospital by ambulance if it was a homebirth. Still if things went badly and my baby didnt make it I would never forgive myself and to be honest Id say you wouldnt get much sympathy from people. Its a risk if complications arrise but somehow I feel this delivery will be straight forward.
Jeidi Posts: 3128
Had to vote seeing as no one else did! For me I would ne nervous of not having absolutely EVERYTHING in the hospital at my side just in case. But I'm a pannicker like that. Some people would relax in their own familier surroundings so I suppose its different for everyone.
milis Posts: 7998
How far are you from hospital? I think it would take an extremely ignorant person to pass judgement on your birthing plan if something terrible did happen though, so I wouldn't take that into consideration. My main concern would be the mess and who would have to clean/tidy up afterwards :-8 If it wasn't me then I'd love a home birth :o0
tilsun Posts: 4506
I voted no, I haven't given birth yet so may change my mind after that. For now I have to say that I would like to be in a hospital, just in case anything went wrong
TracyD Posts: 750
Yes - just booked a midwife for May (fingers crossed!) Milis - the midwife does all of that......I was at a homebirth where the midwife ran the bath for mum....changed the bed....made the couple tea/toast, tidied up the house and put on a wash before she left ;) Tracy
sept09baby Posts: 1094
I can see the attraction but the answer is no for me. Want the back up of the hospital to hand just in case
Vogue Posts: 426
No, I would never forgive myself if something went wrong. What if you needed an emergency section? If the baby's heartbeat stopped?
bubblybaby Posts: 98
I voted no! In the case of an emergency for me or babs i would want to be as close as possible to all the doctors and equipment needed! My sis in law went for a home birth and really enjoyed it - each to their own! :wv
oddwire Posts: 842
I love the idea of it but would have to say no... after having a 'dream' pregnancy and expecting a very straightforward birth I ended up having an emergency section, which i never expected. It all happened so fast though that I hadn't time to think about it, I couldn't imagine being in an ambulance and getting into hospital in a similar situation and trying to remain calm.
Mammyof2Princesses Posts: 3745
Never, I could never forgive myself if anything went wrong and I wasnt in a place with all the best options possible. Had a relatively easy birth on DD only G&A til 9cm til I needed an epidural for forceps delivery, which couldnt be done at home anyway, but felt totally relaxed, calm and focused knowing my consultant was in and out the whole time. I think Id be totally panicked being at home for the birth with all the "what if" thoughts in my mind.