Would you let a 10yr old....

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

barbaraann Posts: 1500
....watch Desperate Housewives and Dr Phil?? Genuine query ladies as a pal of my daughter has just told me she watches them.
twinbambinos Posts: 3492
my step son is going on 9 ( will be 9 on friday) and to be honest has no interest in watching adult programs at all,,he is way more interested in what programs are on nickledon etc.. I think it woudl depend on the content that was in the particular eposide ( some can be quite tame) before I woudl make a judgement on it but to be honest desperate housewives would be on to late for him he is in bed at that stage!
Rubyrose Posts: 5522
I dont think I would to be honest!
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
Oooh, I don't know. Desperate Housewives is abit too grown up for a 10 year old I think. I mean I don't follow it all the time but it's got pretty 'grown up' storylines and love scenes. It is sanitised for tv so not in your face or anything but not childs viewing imo. Dr Phil can be good when it deals with parent child relationsips but maybe not so suitable when talking about dyfunctional sex lives or drug addiction. Parents are entitled to use their own discretion I suppose though. I would prefer my childern watch tv that's specifically geared to their age group. Desperate Housewives isn't age appropriate imo.
ott Posts: 3920
I don't think I've ever watched Dr Phil so I can't comment on that but I would let a 10 year old watch Despos - I would be very careful and talk to them about it afterwards though...
JellySnakes Posts: 2201
No i have a 9 year old daughter and no way would i let her watch adult programmes,not even corrie,emmerdale etc .
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
When we were kids we were allowed to watch Dallas. Honest to God now, from about the age of 8! And we watched all the soaps too! We're a big enough family and we were poor, so all my poor mam and dad had to look forward to at the end of the long working day was the telly! We only had two channels for ages! We used to love it, all on the sofa together watching Corrie and we especially loved Dallas as it was on late and we could stay up. I remember vividly the Who Shot JR thing and being all excited about the series returning that September! (Showing my age there eh?!) That said, if I had kids, I don't know about letting them watch Desperate Houswives..though there's rarely anything very in your face sexual or anything. But probably too grown up for them. I'd probably be much more wary myself now. By the way, my parents are fantastic parents, I wouldn't have anything said against them, they were and still are, wonderful, nurturing, supportive people and I owe them absolutely everything that I have in life. It's all down to them. So watching bad TV doesn't automatically equal a bad child!
CalamityJane Posts: 783
I would. To be honest, a lot of the more serious stuff goes over a 10 year old's head. That's why with many cartoons there are 'adult' jokes that kids just don't get. My parents never censored any of our telly and it didn't do any of us a bit of harm. I actually remember watching Coronation Street with my parents when I was a kid and it didn't scar me for life :o0
YoMammaSo Posts: 3256
i dunno theres alot of sex and all in DH i think look thats nothing to be honest my stepkids are aloud watch family guy at home in their mothers there 6 and 8. what does that say ???????? she's not well in the fcuking head
CalamityJane Posts: 783
[quote="Smileykaz":3ndang6m]That said, if I had kids, I don't know about letting them watch Desperate Houswives..though there's rarely anything very in your face sexual or anything. But probably too grown up for them. I'd probably be much more wary myself now. By the way, my parents are fantastic parents, I wouldn't have anything said against them, they were and still are, wonderful, nurturing, supportive people and I owe them absolutely everything that I have in life. It's all down to them. So watching bad TV doesn't automatically equal a bad child![/quote:3ndang6m] If watching those programmes didn't effect you at all, why would you not let your kids watch them? I actually think that the kids who have things hidden from them are the ones who go looking for those 'exciting' things much more readily as teens. I really do believe that if you're open and honest with your kids (about lots of things - including tv), they're less likely to rebel when they're older.