Would you mind being called a girl? - Page 2

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lux Posts: 6270
I'm on board a lot lately and this reminded me of this thread: :o0
dresstoimpress Posts: 1719
[quote="lux":1vgc7udu]I'm on board a lot lately and this reminded me of this thread: :o0[/quote:1vgc7udu] That's a really good thread!
diydaisy Posts: 326
I work on a reception. The other day i got a cold call from a guy who works in a gym trying to get me to join. I was trying to tell him that i was too busy to take his call as i had lines flashing all over the place. He was an awful a-hole. He asked to be transferred to my manager and i told him she wouldn't take the call (she wouldn't. Part of my job is to screen) Then he rang me back the day after and again today. This is not the point. The point is that on each call and multiple times on each call he called me [size=200:l35y4gwv]MADAM!!![/size:l35y4gwv]
ructions Posts: 2689
I quite like the use of "sir" and "ma'am" in America. It's quite old fashioned but makes a nice change to be addressed politely. My granddad used to call a woman over 30 a "girlette". :o0
PussyGalore Posts: 3388
Ouch Diydaisy! I don't much like being called a woman, as someone else said it seems like a negative, "look at that woman over there" *shudder*. If I'm called lady I usually smie and think "you obviously don't know me!" :o0 I much rather girl
BabasFor2012 Posts: 1594
I'm not at all comfortable with being called a woman, I don't feel like one at all, totally feel like a girl (even though I'm the wrong side of 35 :o0 ) When we were in South Africa last year I left my credit card behind in a place we stayed, so I had to use Visa International to organise a replacement. I had to make loads of calls to them about it and it used to drive me mad how they would constantly address me as Ma'am! It just sounded so utterly fake to me, but I guess it's just cultural really.
lucie lu Posts: 760
No it makes me feel young still! I don't know how I'll cope with being called a woman! You know what I'm finding strange, is meeting people around my age, not realising they are and thinking they are far older than me. I get so disappointed when I discover they are the same age as me or even worse younger! I think in my head my group of friends, my husband and I have remained looking the same since school- obviously not the case!
Luka Posts: 1904
Some one called me a girl the other day in a shop. Bloody delighted I was! I'm 37 in December, so to be called a girl made me feel younger! :o)ll I suppose the hair in a ponytail helped but it's still nice!
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
A few years ago, when I was in my late 20s, a girl on the Luas said to her child 'Mind the woman there, you're stepping on her toe'. I cried. Not because of the toe, but because of the 'woman' comment. I'm a GIRL! A guuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrllllllllllllllllllllllll! I'm now 32 and it's been a loooonnnggg time since anyone called me a girl. It's usually woman, lady or even Madam. Although a very nice waitress called me 'pet' over the weekend. Not in a patronising way, she was lovely. It made me feel all fuzzy inside!
I Dream in Disney Posts: 1592
I don't mind being called a girl. I prefer it to woman, definitely! My Mammy's a woman, I'm not 25 for a fortnight, I'm still a girl!