Would you mind your OH donating his sperm??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

miss shimmer Posts: 453
Hi girls :wv I was reading an article in a magazine yesterday about a surrogacy and I was chatting to my OH about it and then he mentioned sperm donation and he said that he wouldn't have an issue with donating his sperm if he thought it would help someone else. I told him that I definitely would not be ok with that. Knowing that he could have another child out there even if it was all anonymous. Im wondering what the rest of you think. Would you mind your OH donating his sperm??
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
Emotionally I don't think I'd be supportive... maybe if we had children of our own already but to think he technically had children with someone else before us would hurt too much. In theory DH doesn't have a problem with it but he'd prefer it to be an anonymous recipient rather than actually know the couple in question. I can imagine the lines could become blurred between donor or parent if he had regular contact with the child.
paperclips Posts: 3146
I think I would have a huge problem with this if I'm honest. I wouldnt want my DH donating his sperm to anyone but me! I think I would find it difficult to get my head around what it would mean to us and our relationship, what it would mean to him emotionally. I think this would be a NO for me.
Anahita Posts: 1161
It's a no to donating from me too. I wouldn't be able to separate the fact that he had a child out there that was biologically but not legally his and would have nothing to do with him/us. But I think its such a fantastic thing do to for someone, fairplay to anyone that helps people in that way
Daff Posts: 11644
Having had DD and one on the way I dont' think either of us would like this. For our LO's it would mean that they would have a half sibling out there. Also I know DH is such a family person and is quiet sensitive about things like that I think he'd always be looking at toher children to see if they resembled him hoping to find them. I would have an issue with it now but not sure how I would feel if it was something he did before he met me.
Happymammy2010 Posts: 837
I definitly would mind if my DH donated his sperm, as another poster said it would be very hard to think that DH had a child out there and that our little girl would have a half sibiling out there as well. I say fair play to anyone who does it. Another thing that popped into my mind there was what if the child born through sperm donation met with the donators child down the road and got romantically involved but didnt know they were related iykwim - I would constantly worry about that aspect of it.
mrs bmw Posts: 6447
I would not have an issue with this, we will never have our own children together by choice and he already has another child from a previous relationship so to have one floating around that we won't know about would be no problem for me. When I read about some of the ttc stories I defo think if you have the chance to give life to others then you should not turn your nose up at it I suppose. However hubby has got the snip so he is useless for this now! I have thought about donating some of my eggs but I am 29 so don't know if I am too old or not.
miss shimmer Posts: 453
[quote="Happymammy2010":2yyotyl1]I definitly would mind if my DH donated his sperm, as another poster said it would be very hard to think that DH had a child out there and that our little girl would have a half sibiling out there as well. I say fair play to anyone who does it. [b:2yyotyl1]Another thing that popped into my mind there was what if the child born through sperm donation met with the donators child down the road and got romantically involved but didnt know they were related iykwim - I would constantly worry about that aspect of it.[/quote:2yyotyl1][/b:2yyotyl1] I hadn't thought about that at all, but its a very valid point, I know ive read a few stories about that happening. That would definitely worry me too
Little Miss Hopeful Posts: 1193
[quote:3gv6fgo2]Another thing that popped into my mind there was what if the child born through sperm donation met with the donators child down the road and got romantically involved but didnt know they were related iykwim - I would constantly worry about that aspect of it.[/quote:3gv6fgo2] Exactly my view. My DS has no contact with his father's family, he doesn't know them. It is something that i am terrified of that he might come in contact with a relative he doesn't know and get involved with them - I know its unlikely but Ireland is too small. So for us a least we have some idea, obviously family name etc. (i wouldn't know his biological father's cousins etc.) so in the case of a sperm doner i wouldn't like that aspect.
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
I wouldn't like it and neither would DH I think.