Would you put someone's med prob, with a photo, on the net?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Smileykaz Posts: 7296
Hey Wollies, This might sound like a really stupid question, but would you put up a post about someone else's really private medical business, along with a photo of them, on a forum like this? The reason I ask is that I use another forum to do with the diet I'm on and there's an Off Topic section in there, that's not about diets or food. Anyway, I'm in there tonight and there's this HUGE thread from a woman about a friend of her's who's dying and has only a few days left to live. This woman has posted a picture of the lady in question, private emails that her family sent to the poster about how she's doing, full details of the illness she has, the treatment she received and she even has a whole story about how the dying lady refused treatment which was 'a mistake' in this friend's opinion. Seriously, everything about this poor woman's life and death is up there along with her name and a photo of her and her country of origin. Is that not a bit much? Like, I post about having Crohn's and I've written stuff about MYSELF but I would NEVER put up my friend's medical problems along with a photo of her. Never ever ever. I really feel like going on to the site and saying 'Er, your poor dying friend would probably prefer you weren't yip yapping about her illness and disease all over the internet!!' But I've only posted on the site about five times so I think I'd probably be lept on. The tone of the post is 'I'm so sad my friend is dying' and to be fair this poster sounds like a very good friend and is obviously devastated that her friend is almost gone...but still, I can't help thinking it's a huge invasion of privacy. What do you think?
Snuffy Posts: 1492
:eek WTF????? Seriously? Attention seeking so and so! I'm sorry, but that is not on. Not on at all! It's not her business to be spreading all over the Internet like that. if it was me I'd hate it! And I wouldn't consider the person doing it a friend.
I know, I can hardly believe it. The thread is three pages long at this stage and not a single commenter has said 'Er, does she know you're sharing her face and medical issues with the world'. Everyone is just saying 'Oh the poor woman' and there's lots of 'Poor you, very sorry about your friend'. It's just abhorrent to me. The photo is on the first page. Then more details about her illness. Her name. Then a copy of an email the dying lady's husband sent to this friend about how she's doing today. It's full of private stuff but now it's all over the internet!
vidia Posts: 2960
[quote="Smileykaz":3germ1wy]I know, I can hardly believe it. The thread is three pages long at this stage and not a single commenter has said 'Er, does she know you're sharing her face and medical issues with the world'. Everyone is just saying 'Oh the poor woman' and there's lots of 'Poor you, very sorry about your friend'. It's just abhorrent to me. The photo is on the first page. Then more details about her illness. Her name. Then a copy of an email the dying lady's husband sent to this friend about how she's doing today. It's full of private stuff but now it's all over the internet![/quote:3germ1wy] Every single thing is shocking!! Sorry, if I was on this site, I'd PM the OP, this is horrendous. Her name? Condition? God help the poor woman and her family. And the OP needs to get a life.
SK, I'll go on the site and tell her to cop on if ya want!
This site doesn't have the option of a PM. I also can't even get into this poster's profile as they have this reward system and you've to post 50 times or something before you can contact people. I might report it to the admin there, I think I can do that...but is that over reacting a bit?
vidia Posts: 2960
I dont think thats overreacting at all, I would do it!
No it's definitely not over reacting. To be honest it's a disgrace that someone didn't do it before. I don't mean you, but someone who's been reading it all along. Can you give a reason why you're reporting it I wonder.
I think I'm going to leave a message on the site, for the poster. Something like this? I don't want to be confrontational, I want to explain why I think it's unfair?: 'Hi XX. I hope you take this post the way it is intended as I have no wish for a row or argument and I sympathise deeply with you and your friend. However, I think you need to take down/amend this post to remove the photo of your friend, her name and country of origin as well as her personal medical details. I also think you should delete the email you received about her progress. This is all private, personal information and not for you to be putting on the internet. This site is not private, it is open to all and is is a gross invasion of your friend's privacy to have all these details up on this site without her express permission. The only person who should be putting a photo, medical details and personal emails about your friend is this woman herself. Not you. It is of course, perfectly fine for you to ask posters here for sympathy and support and to mention that a friend is dying and to list your concerns for her, of course. But the level of detail you have gone into and the publishing of her photo just doesn't sit right with me, I really feel it invades her privacy. I have an incurable, life-long chronic disease which I speak about on online forums and a blog, but I would HATE to come across personal details and photos of me written by a friend, posted without my permission, I would hate that. I write about MY illness but I would not be comfortable with other's putting up my personal details. Again, I sympathise deeply with you, but please amend your post, in the interest of fairness."
bridesmaidzilla Posts: 1859
SK, you're right, that is a major invasion of that lady's privacy. The email/post you wrote is bang on, sympathetic but honest. For the sake of the family of the lady who's sick, the original poster NEEDS to take this stuff down and asap. The OP really risks losing this friendship totally if they find out about what she has done. I would be GUTTED if I found out that all those private details were on the Internet for total strangers to read, that would be the friendship over, permanently. I can understand why she posted about her friend, it is heart-breaking when a friend is dying,and she may need an outlet for her grief...... but the level of detail???My mind is boggled!