Would you recommend TTC whilst working and studying?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Annabel Posts: 331
Hi Girls, Myself and dh had planned on ttc next March, however I have put a spanner in the works.. I have always wanted to return to college and do a masters and now i am starting a distance learning masters which will last two years (ending Sept 09)... on the one hand I'm worried that we may have difficulties ttc and delaying it would mean that I would be older by the time a problem was realised and potentially alot older than we would like starting into parenthood. On the otherhand, doing my masters is really important to me and it's now or never. I would like to start ttc but then if we got lucky first go the timing would not be ideal... is it possible to work, study and be pregnant? Most feedback i'm getting is telling me i'd be mad... i realise it would be more difficult to study being pregnant than not, but is it very unrealistic of me to think that it would be possible? Annabel
pattie Posts: 2379
Hi Annabel, can I ask what age you are? If possible, I would put off starting TTC till January 09, it really is very possible to get lucky first time, the chance is 20% in fact. If you did become pg could you take time out of the masters for maternity leave?
Hi Pattie, I'm 28 (29 in a few months)... 20% chance of succeeding first time... wouldn't it be great if we could be guaranteed this sort of thing. It's funny how we spend so much time trying to avoid it!
Peaseblossom Posts: 6642
it would be difficult butlife happens as you are making plans and if i had met DH before starting college i would have been ttc
may2008 Posts: 455
i think it is def possible - hard but possible. i moved house at 6 months pg and did professional exams at 8 months and passed them! it is def hard cos you are more tired but it is possible
Thanks Peaceblossom & May 2008.... I really wanted to hear from people who actually done it.. obviously I realise that it is not ideal but i really want both.. i want the kids but i also think it is important for me to fulfill my own dreams otherwise I'll have regrets and I think that I would be a better mother if i were personally fulfilled. My poor mum congratulated me on getting accepted because she knew that I regretted not returning to do a masters after getting my degree and then said (in a disappointed tone) 'I suppose that puts the grandkids off for another 2 years' :xxx I told her if any grandkids did arrive she would play an important part in my plans in that she would be minding my kids when I had to study! To my surprise she didn't pass her usual comment that she had her kids reared.. obviously she has no grandkids yet!
So you would be just gone 30 if you waited till early '09? That's still quite young. On the other hand, it's so hard to wait if you're broody, it used to nearly kill me! Maybe try to find out how flexible your course would be if you became pg in the middle of it, it's one thing doing your exams while pg but alot harder to be studying with a small baby to mind, never mind a job too. I'm sure it's do-able, but it sounds pretty tough.
may2008 Posts: 455
Annabel Pattie does have a good point that it would be hard to study with a young child but if your parents, hubby and other family are willing to help you out then it should be possible. as i said i did my exams at 8 months pg (and also working full time) - it def was hard to find the energy to study but if its something you really want to do then you will manage. good luck with whatever you decide!
I don't mean to sound so negative, if you have family around to help then that could make a real difference. I've to finish my PhD next year (please God!) and am planning on starting back into it when the baby is 6 months, yuk! Don't know how that will work as we've no family near us here at all. I wouldn't not do the masters anyway, sounds like you've your heart set on it.
sally Posts: 1140
Hi Annabel, ive done my masters part time while working and found it tough going at times but if your organised and set aside dedicated times for study every week you get through ok, I used to study three hours two evenings a week and three hours sat morning and it was manageable enough till the end when my project was due it got a bit hectic. If you have the summer off try and get ahead of the work and do a bit then. You may concieve straight away or may not and if timing is off most colleges are flexable about taking a year out if you find it too much. Im pregnant at the mo and would prob be ok for studying if a little distracted... your very tired the first couple months though but during the middle you should be fine and again the last couple months you would prob find it hard again. Its a personal decision but if it was me id go ahead with both and cross any bridges when you get to them.