Would you stay in a job you hated?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

boodlesdoodles Posts: 900
:o)ll
Anahita Posts: 1161
To be honest yes I would stay, purely for financial reasons. However if my mental health really started to suffer I would leave, I think I'd have to. But if you could survive without a wage and on what your side line brings in then get the hell out of there!!
zoesmama Posts: 2774
After being unemployed for almost a year now - yes I would stay in a job that I hated particularly a secure job unless you could comfortably manage on 1 salary and by comfortably I mean factoring in all the unexpected expenses too. We are tight at the mo and I would give anything to have a secure job that paid enough to cover the creche and to contribute a bit to our household. I've been in jobs that I have hated but only left when I had another job but any job I got would never have been as secure as PS but if I had the option of a PS job I would grab it with both hands. DH is PS and but for that we would be loosing our minds with worry as the Private Sector of DS's job would not at all be secure.
Little Miss Hopeful Posts: 1193
i am in a job i hate so so much - i try to switch off going out the door in the evening but it doesn't work - i go home in a mood if i have had a bad day - - I hate everything about it but we would loose our home if i didn't work - so obviously have no choice. If i didn't have mortgage and children i would be gone.
Sweet8 Posts: 1285
[color=#400040:22bbbzjc]I hate my current job tbh, but the pay rate per hour is pretty good, so financially it makes more sense to stay there. Thing is there is no pension scheme or anything like that. My dream would be to become a Midwife. So I've decided that 2011 is the year where I'll have my cake and eat it too. I'm going to do a year long nursing studies course and if I like that (course includes hospital placement) then I'll probably train abroad to become a Midwife and tell my current job to stuff it. Until then I'm saving up as much as I can. A girl can dream... :-8 [/color:22bbbzjc]
maryalice1 Posts: 268
[quote="Lisi87":1h7yjwj7][color=#400040:1h7yjwj7]I hate my current job tbh, but the pay rate per hour is pretty good, so financially it makes more sense to stay there. Thing is there is no pension scheme or anything like that. My dream would be to become a Midwife. So I've decided that 2011 is the year where I'll have my cake and eat it too. I'm going to do a year long nursing studies course and if I like that (course includes hospital placement) then I'll probably train abroad to become a Midwife and tell my current job to stuff it. Until then I'm saving up as much as I can. A girl can dream... :-8 [/color:1h7yjwj7][/quote:1h7yjwj7] are you a nurse already?? Nursing is my dream job and I have enquired about studying as a mature student in DCU. I will really have to look how we could cope financially to see if feasible but would so love to do it. I previously worked in a job that really affected my health to the point I was severely stressed and I felt I had no option but to stay there. I finally got made redundant 2 years ago which was a relief and I look back now and realize that no Job is worth damaging your mental health, relationships. I would so not let myself be affected by work like that again. Thankfully I am in an office where the atmosphere is a holiday camp compared to the last place I was in.
lux Posts: 6270
I've never had a job i hated, I must be lucky! When I felt I'd done all I could I moved on though, I've had a number of different jobs. However, now the economy is pants and we have a mortgage and are planning to have a family I would be very reluctant to move from my permenent, pensionable job if I grew to hate it. I'd love to stay home for a while with any children we have but we'd have to do our sums and weigh up the options. We're quite lucky, my fiance has a very good job (which he hates but will not leave) and his industry (IT) is kinda recession-proof which means we are somewhat sheltered. I think it depends on the person and couple and their financial and other committments.
Bellisima Posts: 3583
Ive never been in your position. I would encourage you to find another job before you leave your current one. I can only imagine that not being able to find work must also be quite soul destroying. I would be worried for you when you talk about your concerns for your mental health. I think you need to leave but first of all I think you should find another job. The issues around finances cant really be ignored. Is there any possibility of transferring into another area within your current employment?
samcro Posts: 738
I HATE my job with a passion. I'm being bullied my management and I have tried every avenue possible in order to get a transfer or even get the situation sorted but to no avail. I'm in the civil service and although I'm on less wages than I was when I started I refuse to walk. So to answer your question, Yes I'm staying in a job which I detest and dread each day. I've put cv's out there for the past year and have heard nothing back but I'm hoping that when I go on maternity leave and eventually come back I will be put in a different section completely.
MichelleMyBelle Posts: 1270
[quote="Lisi87":w7131wvc][color=#400040:w7131wvc]I hate my current job tbh, but the pay rate per hour is pretty good, so financially it makes more sense to stay there. Thing is there is no pension scheme or anything like that. My dream would be to become a Midwife. So I've decided that 2011 is the year where I'll have my cake and eat it too. I'm going to do a year long nursing studies course and if I like that (course includes hospital placement) then I'll probably train abroad to become a Midwife and tell my current job to stuff it. Until then I'm saving up as much as I can. A girl can dream... :-8 [/color:w7131wvc][/quote:w7131wvc] What do you have to do to become a midwife?