Menu

Xanax for a flight?

Go to Off Topic

roisinbunny
Mini Wolly

Re: Xanax for a flight?

Postby roisinbunny » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:41 pm

Thanks God girls, thought I was the only one. Asked my doctor for a prescription of Xanax a few weeks back and also got a low dose prescription of Stillnoct. Was told 15 mins before the flight to take one.

The effects TBH vary for me - I had to take one coming back from France a few months back after a very turbulent flight going over (I mean lots of people crying, not just me :o( ) but I found I was so much on edge that they prob didnt have the necessary effect! (is it adrenaline or something??)

We've a 9 hour flight on honeymoon & I'm terrified. Hubby doesn't realise how badly I am afraid but usually for every flight now, I go the the loos and have a talk with myself to cop on, or even a little cry I'm such a nervous wreck! He said one time going to NYC that I'm giving him my fear of flying so now I just try so hard to keep it together for him - I got to NYC once only by being completely plastered on whiskey, then died of a hangover the next day so the xanax has to be better than that! :o0

newshound
Mini Wolly

Postby newshound » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:12 pm

Just a word of caution ladies... I'm a nervous flier, and got a prescription for Xanax for a flight to Italy. Took what I was meant and it relaxed me enough to nap. However, it was only a weekend trip and it ruined the whole Friday of the trip because I was exhausted and had huge problems trying to get out of bed on the Saturday even. On the way home, took what I was told again, had turbulence over the Alps and it did nothing for my nerves. Yet once we landed in Dublin, I was a sleepy wreck again. My sister got an alternative from the doctor and she's convinced it worked, think it was called Gerax? She used it on a transatlantic trip and claims it was fantastic. I went to a Cognitive Therapist to try and deal with it on a recommendation from a friend and it helped a lot. There's also a great book about fear of flying written by an ex-Aer Lingus air hostess, can't remember what it's called, but it's great. From my experience, I'd rather not be out on drugs, if for nothing else, not to be zonked out on arrival. I use mind over matter, imagine the fear as a little ball in your stomach and breathe it away. It sounds crazy, but it works! Glass of red helps too :-8 :-8 :-8
I think that it doesn't matter what you take/eat/drink you won't really be unafraid.... I'll always be more than a little bit scared!

streaks
Empress Wolly

Postby streaks » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:43 pm

I took Xanax once for a flight and found it absolutely useless!! Since then I've been using 10mg of Valium and find it works great, I'm still quite alert but fairly calm. It's alot of valium but I'm an extremely bad passenger, had a few bad experiences on flights and would be terrified without it :-8
I always think the exact thing on a flight, everyone seems so calm and I'm spraying rescue remedy with one hand and clutching onto DH with the other hand after taking Valium! :-8 hate being afraid of flying though ;o(
[url]http://www.TickerFactory.com
Image[/url]

GoldStar
Princess Wolly

home/Meath at heart!!

Postby GoldStar » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:08 pm

newshound wrote:My sister got an alternative from the doctor and she's convinced it worked, think it was called Gerax?

Gerax and Xanaz are the same drug - alprazolam - just different brands.

It's the same as everything else, what works for you, may not work for someone else, or vice versa.

I'd agree to take it before your hols, just to check if it'll work for you.

[/url]

rubymoon
Princess Wolly

Postby rubymoon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:11 pm

Yeah I use it for flying its good, it takes the edge off the nerves. What dosage did she recommend you take. 0.25mg is the lowest and this is the one I take.

Twirl
Ultimate Wolly

Postby Twirl » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:47 am

I am only starting to go to the loo on flights now, i went to LA and never got off my seat because i was terrified and i hate the toilets on planes, the noise when it flushes freaks me out. However on honeymoon i forced myself to go to the loo, got DH to wait outside for me, i also got up and walked around so for me i am eventually getting better ( i hope ).
It is all in the mind, its like any fear but it is horrible. I have a flight in a few weeks and i will have the xanax ready again, i am however going try and just take one per flight if i can. They only really made me very sleepy once and i think that was to do with the very early morning flight. I wouldnt drive after taking them as i would be afraid i would still be a little dosey but other than that they work fine for me.

Keith Malone Video
newshound
Mini Wolly

Postby newshound » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:27 am

Doctor told me to take 0.25mg and if that didn't work, take 0.5 on return journey. Ironically, took the 0.5 on the return leg from Italy, and due to the turbulence I was a wreck. I really don't think it did me any good at all! I exude confidence on a plane, you would never think there was any fear in me, the only giveaway is the rescue remedy and the 110% attention to all the announcements. And heavy breathing. :)

trance
Empress Wolly

Postby trance » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:25 am

Oh Twirl I'm the same, I daren't go to the loo on a plane, I'm too scared in case I unbalance the plane or something. Yes I know how ridiculous that sounds but that's what I think!! I do find a few drinks help but by the time they start serving the drinks I'm already a nervous wreck because taking off is the worse part for me, I literally am waiting for the plane to just plunge out of the sky!!! If I have a couple before I get on then I just need to keep pee-ing and I'm back to the problem with the toilet. It's a no win situation!! I agree with some of the other posters who said if the drugs don't work it's probably the adrenalin kicking in, I find that happens to me, you kind of need to be relaxed for them to have a proper effect and I'm literally panting by the time it comes to take off. I've just resigned myself to just doing it, going through the panic cos it has to be done if I want to go anywhere.

My cousin was a flight attendant and she told me that 99% of the time turbulence was nothing to worry about, the plane is built to withstand it and the pilot is trained to deal with it, she said you should only start worrying if the cabin crew are told to take their seats by the pilot (other than for take off and landing of course) and that's the mantra I go by now, I always watch the cabin crew if it gets bumpy and see if they look worried or not bothered.

Anna33
New Wolly

Postby Anna33 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:48 am

I fly very often even if I am really not a big fan of flying but as long as I am on Xanax (usually order them from wwwgeneric-meds-storecom), I'm fine. I take 0.5mg about 30 minutes before flight and about 15 minutes into the flight, I'm snoring.

UpthatAisle
New Wolly

Postby UpthatAisle » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:40 pm

no thanks. not for me.

Previous

Go to Off Topic