Menu

Xanax for a flight?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Anahita Posts: 1161
Hi, Was at the doc's today to get travel vaccines for hols and asked for something for the flight incase I get nervous and need something. She gave me Xanax so I'm just wondering has anyone used it for this purpose and found it good? I know everyone is different though. She said to try one before the honeymoon to see how I get on with them so I guess I'll know soon enough if they work!
queen30 Posts: 1551
Ive used it before. I fly weekly but had a bit of a freak out there the other year so got some xanax to get me through some long hauls. just made me very mellow to be honest and sleepy. OH found it very funny he said i just sounded really dopey and took a long time to answer questions. depending on how long your flight is id take it when you are first get to the departure gate as takes about 20mins half an hour to kick in but you dont really want to be dozey around the airport - you might get on the wrong plane!! :)
lux Posts: 6270
My dad takes it for long haul flights as he's not a great flier. He takes half of one when he boards the plane and it makes him zone out enough to see him through a five hour flight.
Anahita Posts: 1161
Thanks ladies, sounds like it will have the desired effect. :hic I may not even need them but it's good to know I have them there. I already feel a bit better about it actually O-O
BusyDee Posts: 8527
Yeah Ive taken it a few times before. Doc recommended taking it about half an hour before the flight but I actually found it really didnt kick in till hours later!!! Always found it made me very dozy and tired a good 5/6 hours later, reason I know is usually I wont sleep unless its dark and dead quiet but I conked it on the sun lounger with screaming kids running around me!!!
Twirl Posts: 5598
I take them i am a nervous flyer, i started having panic attacks on one flight many years ago and thats what made me go to the docs i would also be in tears too. I take one about an hour before the flight and then depending on how long the flight is i will take another about an hour before landing. They really help me. We had 7 flights on our honeymoon and for some of them i didnt bother taking xanax but Dh told me i looked like i was out of it at one stage, also they can make you sleepy. I think they are great, i eventually hope to be flying without them but for the time being they really are a great help.
trance Posts: 3129
GIrls, where are you all when I'm on a flight!! I'm a terribly nervous flyer but whenever I get on a plane I always think everyone else looks really calm and I'm freaking out, although maybe I'm just hiding it well!! Anyways I've taken valium and sleeping pills for longer haul flights, what I would say is take the dose your dr recommended before you go on hols to see how long it takes to kick in and what sort of effect it has on you. DCee I'm like you they can take hours to have an effect on me and sometimes not at all, once I took a valium and a sleeping pill on a lunchtime flight to NYC and they didn't kick in until I went to bed that night and even that was probably jet lag!!
Trance i would say if you had have been on the same flight as me then you would know you werent the only one. Im the blubbering mess and my DHs arm will be white from me squeezing his hand so much also i will look like im trying to push the plane back down as it takes off. I didnt take a xanax on a short flight while on honeymoon and i cried taking off, i was so scared, it was only a little plane turned out though it was my favourite flight of the honeymoon plus it only lasted 1 hour. My worse flight ever was coming back from France, my god i though i was going to die, i had a bad panic attack and DH had to spend alot of time calming me down, i kept saying i had to get off and i needed windows open, i couldnt breath, actually DH used to be pretty useless and would tell me people were looking at me. People dont understand a fear when they dont have them. So you are not alone :wv
BusyDee Posts: 8527
Funny thing is years ago I used to LOVE flying - I even wanted to be an air hostess!! But then there was a lot of plane crashes and I just got scared. I actually didnt take anything when I flew for my wedding to Malta as I didnt want to be like a zombie later that day as I had too much to do and I have to say I was fine. Could be coz nearly all of our guests were on the same flight so we were chatting away so probably took my mind off it. I dont think I would bother taking it again tbh. I remember one flight I was on when I had taken Xanax and there was a woman in front of me and everytime the plane jerked or made a sound etc she would grab the 2 arm rests and shout "Jesus christ, jesus christ" I was laughing my head off at the poor woman :o0 Then I said to hubbie "sure look at the air hostesses there as calm as anything and they do this everyday, y'know"? I was being so diplomatic about it all but sure it was all thanks to Xanax!!!
[quote="MrsDCee":36rbeo4w] I remember one flight I was on when I had taken Xanax and there was a woman in front of me and everytime the plane jerked or made a sound etc she would grab the 2 arm rests and shout "Jesus christ, jesus christ" I was laughing my head off at the poor woman :o0 Then I said to hubbie "sure look at the air hostesses there as calm as anything and they do this everyday, y'know"? I was being so diplomatic about it all but sure it was all thanks to Xanax!!![/quote:36rbeo4w] That poor woman was probably me :weep Xanax definitely dont work that much for me, i would still be a little panicky and there is every chance i will cry when we land ( its relief )