Yasmin and amoxicillin?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

LeoMammy Posts: 8
I starting taking amoxicillin Thursday 26th July while I was on my 7 day break from taking Yasmin. I have finished my courSe of amoxicillin and I am on day 6 of the pill. I have just had unprotected sex with my husband and am worried that the Yasmin may not work. Can anyone advise please?
Dub M Posts: 269
[quote="LeoMammy":1ksvwdv6]I starting taking amoxicillin Thursday 26th July while I was on my 7 day break from taking Yasmin. I have finished my courSe of amoxicillin and I am on day 6 of the pill. I have just had unprotected sex with my husband and am worried that the Yasmin may not work. Can anyone advise please?[/quote:1ksvwdv6] The interaction between the oral contraceptive pill and a short course of antibiotics like amoxil or augmentin is usually over emphasised i.e. the odds of the antibiotic reducing the contraceptive cover is relatively small.Having said that the general advice is to use condoms while you are taking antibiotic and for seven days after to guarantee you are covered.If the seven extra days run into your pill free interval, you run two packs together without a break. The interaction is because some antibiotics can kill the "good" gut flora which could reduce how well your pill is absorbed into your system.Did you get the antibiotic from the regular pharmacy where you get your pill?All pharmacies have a warning system where labels will advise if you need to extra cover etc.I think your risk of conceiving is low but if in doubt, get the morning after pill asap (today) over the counter in a pharmacy. HTH!! :wv
Flower Girl Posts: 1645
Actually, the advice on this from the WHO changed recently, and it's now no longer considered necessary to take extra precautions when you're on antibiotics like Amoxicillin. Some doctors are still giving the 'use condoms for 7 days' advice, but the official line is that it's not required any more.
LeoMammy Posts: 8
Thanks girls. The dr and chemist both told me to use extra precaution but we forgot this morning! Idiots. Can you really get the Morning after Pill over the counter now??