Yay bfp but aaaggggh what to do about somethings

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Drummerswife Posts: 3497
Got a bfp yesterday (tesco own brand) and today cb digital (3+ wks) and delighted. Only trying since sept but havent had a period since coming off pill nov 11 so was a little worried. Only went to doc on Weds and she said wait 6 mths before getting worried next day I did a test and voila. Haven't told anyone yet not even hubbie (so if you know me please keep it to yourself or tell me on here you know me). He is working away and I wanted to tell him in person. Can't wait to see him tonight. I'm bursting with the excitement. I need some advice on 2 things. My job is quite dangerous at the moment but can be made less dangerous by telling my boss but am I stupid telling him when I'm only a month gone (I would have to tell my mum and then all families too - mum works in same place and she wouldn't be able to hold a secret) Being Christmas I have a whole heap of parties coming up. I would normally enjoy quite a few drinks how am I gonna get away with not drinking and people guessing I'm pregnant.
sshh Posts: 416
Congrats !!! Great news x On the drinking front I found it infinitely easier to pretend to drink so I accepted drinks ( eg champagne in the hotel at a hen party) and pretended to sip, or got Myself non alcoholic beer or tonic water. Some people may notice or guess but most people won't say a word. Oddly since our news is out I have been asked a couple of times why I am not just having one drink !!! The obsession with drinking in this country has become very apparent since I have stopped. Hopefully someone else can help on the work front. Congrats again !
RainbowNinja Posts: 4437
Ahh congrats! With the drinking, there are ways around it, I had 3 weddings and a hen during my 12 weeks! If you drink spirits, you just drink the soft drink minus the spirit. If you drink beer, like I do, DH used to go to the bar and get a becks and pour it into a glass and just bring down the glass of beer, no bottle. So nobody guessed anything. The only thing is you can't get into rounds with other people I would tell your boss if your job is dangerous. We told family as soon as doctor confirmed it. The way we thought was if anything was to go wrong, we would be telling them anyway. Told a few close friends when I was 7 weeks ago Just make sure when you tell people that you tell them not to tell anyone. You think people would realise that, until a family friend of your inlaws congratulates you on the street when you are 9 weeks :-(
jamseyjo Posts: 1132
So your coming up on 5 weeks? I also work in a dangerous job and am currently on the 2WW. What i kinda plan to do is (IF im preg, fingers crossed) is wing it til the new year and if something comes up in work that i have to refuse just refuse it and let them come to their own conclusions. If i can im gonna tell my boss when im 9/10 weeks and pray to god i dont get caught in a sticky situation until then. If i do then im gonna say im not feeling well and go sick. Drinking was the easy part for me - we had a big night out when i was about 6/7 weeks so my hubbie would go to bar and get to bottles of bed (has to be brown or dark bottles. I'd pretend i was drinking and then when hubbie was finished his we'd descreetly swap bottles, then he'd go to bar with one empty bottle, buy a bottle for himself and hand me the empty bottle so it looked like i was drinking when in fact i wasnt.
highbeam Posts: 2578
No advice but just wanted to say congrats drummerswife, lovely to hear good news from the Sept brides! wishing you a happy and healthy 9 months
Marvin Mole Posts: 1076
Congratulations! I found out I was pregnant with DD at the start of december 2010 and because I refused drinks everyone guessed straightaway! On DS I just pretended to drink - its amazing how no one notices you haven't touched your glass when they are busy drinking their own! That way no one guessed!
Sassypants Posts: 4461
Great advice there. Huge congrats Drummerswife!!!
i want one Posts: 2893
are you tracking ovulation? if u are trying since september but havent had a period u could be further along than u think? if u knew how far gone u were u might be happier talking to work etc? anyway just wanted to say congrats, unfortunately when we dont drink people always speculate. :o)ll
Nostress Posts: 1606
Congrats :o)ll On the drinking thing - I have a Christmas party this evening and I am not drinking. I'm driving. People won't assume I am pregnant because I drive - is this an option for you?
black pearl Posts: 3513
congrats drummers wife!! delighted for you xxxx