Yoga

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Sodapop Posts: 3220
to those of you who are doing Yoga - are you doing it at home also - I'm doing a class every Saturday but I'm not doing any of it at home (go to gym mid week) - how often should you be doing the yoga moves? Was thinking of getting a DVD for a little help at home - I forget half the moves as soon as I leave the class (pregnancy brain!)
Chica1 Posts: 793
Hi Sodapop, to get maximum benefit from it you should be doing 10 to 20 mins of it a few times a week in between the weekly class. Having said that I've been doing it since the start of the year and haven't yet managed to practice it at home. Our instructor does recommend doing some of the moves every day. I borrowed a yoga book from the instructor and photocopied the relevant pages as there is no way I'd remember all of the poses. I've also downloaded music onto my i phone, I just need to get my act together and start doing a bit in the evenings myself... I've just finished my antenatal classes and about half of the classes were given by the physio. I already knew a lot of what the physio told us from being at the yoga classes.
Twirl Posts: 5598
Sodapop i am terrible, i havent done any yoga at home at all and like scorpio said i'd imagine it should be done a few times a week. ( im starting to panic now :eek ). I havent been in a few weeks either but this weekend im going to get back into it and ill start doing a few bits during the week.
Sodapop Posts: 3220
thanks girls - I ordered a Prenatal Yoga Dvd online yesterday and am thinking to do it 2/3 a week at home - I've only 3 classes left to attend and then I'm on my own (not paying the money again for more classes - it's expensive) - but I feel it is essential to do it!! My SIL did it right up to the birth and girls she had a 8.14pound baby boy with NO PAINKILLERS and only 3 hours in labour... I put it down to those yoga moves!
tinyfeet Posts: 3482
I would love to start doing Yoga but part of me is just too lazy to find a class nearby & by the evening time I'm normally shattered by the time I have DS fed, washed, in bed etc. I didnt do any on DS, did a bit of walking & that was it, he was 8lbs 7oz & between the labour & birth it was 5 hrs in total which I though was pretty fast on a first baby. Anyway my SIL did yoga right up until the end and was walking nearly every day & she had a very rough time of it, she was in labour for about 16 hours & eventually when she did give birth her DS was very stressed as cord was wrapped around it's neck so for her it didnt make for an easier labour. I think it depends on the person really.
Sodapop, i have heard so many positive stories with people crediting their yoga breathing techniques so im sticking to those too. Sorry Tinyfeet, although i do agree and maybe i am in for a massive shock but im sticking with my approach, i am going to breathe this baby out :o0 ( naive as it may be :o0 ). The classes are very expensive and after bills and savings for babys all i have left is the money for yoga classes but with only a few weeks to go :eek im going to stick with them. Plus i need to get in some serious stretches to give baby some more room or ill be on oxigen in a few weeks :o0
I think what happened my sister was she just panicked during labour & all the breathing techniques she had learnt went out the window. I have heard nothing but positive stories about people who have done Yoga throughout pregnancy so I have no doubt it helps the majority of people. Now if only I could get my lazy ass out to join a class! :o0
You have loads of time to join TinyFeet. I am afraid i might panick too so i have warned hubby to remind me of the breathing and also to keep telling me it wont last forever. I just hope in a moment of maddess i dont whack him for saying something like that to me while im in pain :o0
[quote="Twirl":883il5uz]I just hope in a moment of maddess i dont whack him for saying something like that to me while im in pain :o0[/quote:883il5uz] The poor hubbys bear the brunt of it don't they! :o0 Like someone else said above I actually hummed a lot during labour with DS & it helped a bit or as DH says I was mooing! :o0 :o0
Chica1 Posts: 793
A lady has been at my yoga class the last few wks. She's due in Aug and had a 3.5 yr old and a 1.5 yr old at home. She said that the yoga really helped her in previous pregnancies so I thought that it must be beneficial if she's making the time to leave two small kids at home and travel to yoga.